• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The minimum wage gives a full time worker about $2775 a month. The average 1 bedroom apartment is around $1750 a month. Then add in food, transportation, gas at $6 a gallon, electricity, natural gas, water, clothing, etc. for the remaining $1000 and you are homeless if you try it. A minimum wage worker can't afford to live in California, let alone buy D&D books.

Things get marginally better if you are a fast food worker. They get about $3500 a month. Still can't afford to live, but they don't fail quite as quickly.

Edit: Oh, and that's the California average for a 1 bedroom. Go to the population centers like San Francisco or Los Angeles and it gets much worse. The average 1 bedroom apartment in Los Angeles is about $2400. The vast majority of people and D&D players don't live in the middle of nowhere to get the lower rent that they still can't afford.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The minimum wage gives a full time worker about $2775 a month. The average 1 bedroom apartment is around $1750 a month. Then add in food, transportation, gas at $6 a gallon, electricity, natural gas, water, clothing, etc. for the remaining $1000 and you are homeless if you try it. A minimum wage worker can't afford to live in California, let alone buy D&D books.

Things get marginally better if you are a fast food worker. They get about $3500 a month. Still can't afford to live, but they don't fail quite as quickly.

Edit: Oh, and that's the California average for a 1 bedroom. Go to the population centers like San Francisco or Los Angeles and it gets much worse. The average 1 bedroom apartment in Los Angeles is about $2400. The vast majority of people and D&D players don't live in the middle of nowhere to get the lower rent that they still can't afford.
Hey, I live in British Columbia. Our prices are pretty much the same as yours. (But gas is more expensive). My point wasn't that things are good - just that things are only marginally worse than they were in 2014.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Hey, I live in British Columbia. Our prices are pretty much the same as yours. (But gas is more expensive). My point wasn't that things are good - just that things are only marginally worse than they were in 2014.
All I said was that buying power has dropped, not that it plummet to half or anything. ;)

Marginally worse is still worse. Buying power has gone down since 2014, not up. I also think it's a bit more than marginal, given the inflation spike over the last few years here in the states.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
All I said was that buying power has dropped, not that it plummet to half or anything. ;)

Marginally worse is still worse. Buying power has gone down since 2014, not up. I also think it's a bit more than marginal, given the inflation spike over the last few years here in the states.
Groceries are insane here - so much so that it has been something of a scandal with the big chains being criticized for reporting record profits while people can barely afford to eat without going heavily into debt. I assume it is no different for you - though California is a well known food producer.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Since 2014 inflation has increased the price of things significantly. Wages have not increased significantly. What most people can afford has dropped since 2014, not increased.
Sure, so notice that the book is cheaper. Wages have increased slower, but $50 is more affordable now than it was.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

And the average member of the game's target audience, teenagers, don't have to deal directly with that by and large. A high schooler working at In-N-Out in Sunnyvale will be able to get the PHB after getting paid for one shift.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sure, so notice that the book is cheaper. Wages have increased slower, but $50 is more affordable now than it was.
No it isn't. People have less buying power now than they did in 2014. It doesn't matter if the book is effectively cheaper than it was in 2014 if people have less buying power. Looking at that one aspect while ignoring the entire financial picture is looking at it in a white room.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And the average member of the game's target audience, teenagers, don't have to deal directly with that by and large. A high schooler working at In-N-Out in Sunnyvale will be able to get the PHB after getting paid for one shift.
And they are buying concert tickets, fast food, going on dates, going to amusement parks and so on. All of those prices have skyrocketed as well. They may not be worried about rent, but the average high schooler doesn't work part time at In-N-Out, either. The average high schooler doesn't have a job.

Also, where is it said that the majority of players(the average player) are in high school?

Remove ads