• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do we need a Fifth Edition Revival (5ER)?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
It does seem likely that there will be an increasing focus on digital D&D via their own portal, and they are perhaps opening the door on micro-transactions. For Hasbro, I think the D&D future is digital and subscription based, regardless of what happens mechanically. I think there's room for a thriving 5E ecosystem to exist outside that.
DnDBeyond had microtransactions before WotC bought it. They have continued to offer those same options of buying rules piecemeal

Why? Why do we, either DMs or Players, need that? Millions are playing with what they have. They are having fun and joying themselves. It's not like they have run out of enjoyment have they?
Can the scene just go on forever with what has already been released? Maybe. But there are lots of folk who enjoy new content and new ideas, who feel like the game is ossified if it is not being developed. They can stick with Hasbro, sure, but that future seems likely to one of subscription fees and micro-transactions.

Oofta

Legend
It does seem likely that there will be an increasing focus on digital D&D via their own portal, and they are perhaps opening the door on micro-transactions. For Hasbro, I think the D&D future is digital and subscription based, regardless of what happens mechanically. I think there's room for a thriving 5E ecosystem to exist outside that.

I agree that digital is, and will continue to be, a big part of their revenue but I don't see them giving up dead tree products any time soon either. If by "micro transactions" you mean that as a DM I can purchase a handful of magic items from a sourcebook without paying full price for the book we're already there. If it's "micro transactions" for an "I win" button a player can pull for their PC, that's not going to happen.

DnDBeyond had microtransactions before WotC bought it. They have continued to offer those same options of buying rules piecemeal
Absolutely. I suspect WOTC will be looking to expand that side of the business in future. I think the recent "digital only" releases on D&D beyond point to that. Don't get me wrong - I like digital content. But when it is subscription-based, I get concerned.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Absolutely. I suspect WOTC will be looking to expand that side of the business in future. I think the recent "digital only" releases on D&D beyond point to that. Don't get me wrong - I like digital content. But when it is subscription-based, I get concerned.
Currently there's no content that's sub based.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
While I disagree with @M.T. Black that there needs to be a revival, I also agree with their theme and the theme that @SlyFlourish has been pushing lately of mixing and matching the 5e products that are right for your table.

That could be travel from Cubical/EN Publish with monsters from Lazy Dungeon Master with magic items from Kobold with a class from 2014 and a species from 2024

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
Everything you've purchased on D&D Beyond you access through the continued blessing and support of Hasbro. Any time you've read "they can't come in and take your books and keep you from playing the old games" - that is exactly the case of D&D Beyond. Hasbro already pulled access to 4e - and there's no reason to think that they won't do the same for 5e at their discretion.
You can't download or store it. It's in the cloud. If/when they shut down the servers, you've lost every item you've purchased. It's the same as if Chris Cocks or Cynthia Williams has come into your house and yanked every book from your shelf. It's planned obsolescence and an intentional way to get you to repurchase things in a cycle.

Remove ads