• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DnD 5e home brew class: The Constructor

What do you think of the class concept and abilities?

• It is fine as is

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Could use some work

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • It is ok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Needs more abilities( explain in comments)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Has too much

Votes: 0 0.0%

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm going to further the push into this being an Artificer subclass. I think there's a need for more of those and the builds golem space is ripe for it.

mellored

Legend
Artificer subclass makes sense but I am trying to build this as a different class. Maybe adding Golem invocations would help set it apart.
Then I would drop the spell casting and go full build-a-bot.

Pick an arm at level 1
Pick another arm at level 2
Pick a frame at level 3 (including a driver seat).
Multi-attack at level 5
Pick legs at 6
Pick a head at 7
At level 9, you can swap a limb durring a short rest.
???
Pick an upgraded arm at level 11
Pick another upgrade arm at 13.

Try and have 3 or so options for each part. Some parts are 1/short rest, some at-will.

Jaiken

Explorer
Then I would drop the spell casting and go full build-a-bot.

Pick an arm at level 1
Pick another arm at level 2
Pick a frame at level 3 (including a driver seat).
Multi-attack at level 5
Pick legs at 6
Pick a head at 7
At level 9, you can swap a limb durring a short rest.
???
Pick an upgraded arm at level 11
Pick another upgrade arm at 13.

Try and have 3 or so options for each part. Some parts are 1/short rest, some at-will.
That seems interesting. Maybe have a core system that gets upgraded as the levels increase. Though I don’t want to make a copy of an already existing home brew.

Jaiken

Explorer
Is it an Armored Core?

And I'm not aware of another homebrew that does it that way.
Armored Core is not what I had in mind. The Core would be the heart of the Golem that can be upgraded as time goes on, but each subclass focuses on the Golem type that is being made. The homebrew I am referring to is called the Golem Mancer class and it can be found on Dungeon Masters Guild. Looking over the class it turns out to be a Mecha Mancer with being able to build more detailed constructs but does not focus on Golems in particular.

ezo

I cast invisibility
Right now the Golem type is the subclass since the Golems have different resistances and vulnerabilities.
Since the different golem types vary in power (CR, resistance and such) I don't see them as equal in any way to represent different subclasses. The "Flesh Golem" subclass will most likely be inferior to the "Iron Golem" subclass. Designing around that would be a pain, if not impossible.

Jaiken

Explorer
Since the different golem types vary in power (CR, resistance and such) I don't see them as equal in any way to represent different subclasses. The "Flesh Golem" subclass will most likely be inferior to the "Iron Golem" subclass. Designing around that would be a pain, if not impossible.
Good point. Hmm…maybe I will need to include an Obelisk to construct that includes the different subclasses. And have the Golem types as certain structures that the class can build overtime.

The magic brings tons of options to the class it will be kept.

Remove ads