• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Darkmantle - Improved Grab quick question ...

AstroCat

Adventurer
Ok, please tell me if I am doing this correctly. :)

1. Darkmantle achieves surprise. Casts Darkness on PC
2. Wins initiative. Charges down and hits PC with Slam attack (1d4+4)
3. Opposed grapple checks the DM wins. So it achieves Hold.
4. Contrisct kicks in for an additional 1d4+4 damage to the PC
5. PC attacks DM at -4 but does not kill it
6. Darkmantle tries to Maintain Grapple
A. Question: The DM does not have to move in to the PC's space, because of Improved Grab brought the PC initially in to the Darkmantles' space as it swooped down and grab the PC, correct?
7. If the Darkmantle wins the Maintain Grapple does it deal both the Slam attack and the constrict damage both each time, or just the constrict damage?

Thanks so much for the help!!! :)

Infiniti2000

First Post
1. First, understand that darkness has "Target: Object touched" so he cannot, in fact, cast it on the PC, especially from a distance.
2. Keep in mind that the darkmantle's maneuverability is poor and therefore his Down Angle is 45 degrees.
3. The darkmantle wins, not the DM. ;)
4. Okay.
5. Why is the PC attacking before the grapple is maintained? Make sure that PC is attacking with a light weapon and had it in hand (or drew it).
6. This should happen before step 5 (the PC's turn). But, yes, the PC is pulled into the darkmantle's space. This has additional consequence if the darkmantle cannot hold itself and the PC aloft. The rules aren't clear on what can happen and quite honestly, the Rules of the Game offer a lot of suggestions in detail on it.
7. It deals no more damage this round. There's is no "win" to maintain the grapple this round. Step 3 was all that was needed this round. Next round is another question, however.

AstroCat

Adventurer
1. Ok, yes you are correct. I should have said casts it on the cavern it is attached to.
2. Ok, if it can...
3. DM for Darkmantle. hehe :)
4. Ok

6. Oh ok, so maintain comes next. Got it. If it grabs the PC up to it as it is swooping down, then drops down like 5 feet or so I'm not sure. Maybe balance check for the PC? And this owuld be after Hold and before Maintain I would think? Tricky stuff!

5. PC tries to attack back.

7. Ok 1st round = Slam damage + Constrict damage. How about next round?

If the Darkmantle wins the grapple next round, does it do both damages or just Constrict?

Thanks for the help!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The darkmantle's Improved Grab contains an implied exception to the normal rule of 'pull opponent into your space'.

It drops off the ceiling to attack, and if it's successful, it attaches to your head. Note that if it misses, it needs to 'fly back up'; it doesn't attempt the Improved Grab while still attached to the ceiling.

The implication is that unlike other Improved Grabbers, who usually only get to grab creatures at least one size category smaller than themselves, the Darkmantle (who can grab a creature two sizes larger!) ends up in his opponent's space, rather than vice versa.

-Hyp.

Infiniti2000

First Post
If the darkmantle moved half his speed then he will not stall. I would rule (and as I think the rules say) that the darkmantle would pull the PC up into his Space. I say up because most likely the darkmantle will attack from above the PC, perhaps at an altitude of 5ft, in order to gain the +1 higher ground advantage (perhaps you could apply that to the opposed grapple check, too). A strength check to pick up the PC and all his/her equipment might also be appropriate, but maybe not.

If the darkmantle manages to pull the PC up into his Space, then apply constrict damage. At this point, remember that only the initial attack roll and opposed grapple checks have been made, but the darkmantle did slam damage and now constrict damage.

The PC can then fight back, this round, if he has a Light weapon. If he has it in hand already (drawn/wielded), then he can make a full attack using iterative bonuses (not like that will matter at this level). Otherwise, he has to draw it (opposed grapple check) and then attack (at -4).

Next round, the darkmantle will have to fly at least half his speed, carrying the PC, or both will plummet to the ground (unless the PC can fly and hold up the darkmantle). Since we're only likely talking about 5ft, I think the darkmantle may choose to just drop and keep strangling the PC, but that might depend on other combatants. Anyway, if the darkmantle chooses to attack, he makes one opposed grapple check and if successful, he deals 2d4 + 8 points of damage, 1d4+4 for the slam and 1d4+4 for the constrict.

If the darkmantle wants to move, he does not have to make an opposed grapple check (as normally someone would) because he has Improved Grab. If he wants to attack and move, however, he then gets to move only half his speed. Note that this sucks for a poor flyer because he cannot possibly gain altitude (costs half and if he moves at most half he'll actually move less than half which causes him to stall). So, chances are he'll spend the second round to make a double move and bring the victim somewhere less dangerous.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Infiniti2000 said:
I would rule (and as I think the rules say) that the darkmantle would pull the PC up into his Space. I say up because most likely the darkmantle will attack from above the PC, perhaps at an altitude of 5ft, in order to gain the +1 higher ground advantage (perhaps you could apply that to the opposed grapple check, too). A strength check to pick up the PC and all his/her equipment might also be appropriate, but maybe not.

He can only fly with a Light load or less... and a Light load for a Str 16 Small creature is 57 lbs.

Which also makes it tricky to drag most victims anywhere... especially the Large ones!

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
AstroCat said:
Where can I find the rules for carrying wieght and flying?

The rules for Carrying are in the PHB, p162.

The rule that a creature with a Fly speed can move through air at the indicated speed while carrying no more than a light load is in the Monster Manual under 'Movement Modes', p312.

-Hyp.

AstroCat

Adventurer
Thank you! Very helpful. Here's one more:

Can a flying creature "charge" like normal, or do they have to use the "dive" attack?

Thanks!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads