• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV DADHAT hits $80,856,963 box office

Zardnaar

Legend
This has already been explained to you, multiple times. Different components of a corporation don't get the rights for free. They do have to pay each other.

For some reason, you seem really invested in a made-up scenario of how this works, no matter how many times people explain to you that you appear to be intentionally using an extremely dated model and cherry picking data to support it.

This is a weird, dumb hill to die on, my dude.

I'm aware there's other options for money.

If the hole is big enough those other revenue streams won't make up the difference.
. The box office us still the most important element because it determines how much you get later.

During covid times (best case scenario for streaming) the numbers they got were a fraction of the box office.

Not saying you make 0 money but you're looking at 10-20% type numbers.

Zardnaar

Legend
What, now?

I did some googling.

The highest numbers paid for a streamer are 160-200 million for blockbusters.

Knives Out has a multi movie deal over 400 million.

Movies are typically bought in bundles.

On current numbers they're looking at a loss similar to those numbers. If your movie flops st the box office I'm guessing you're not gonna get top dollar on streaming.

So to reach their break even point (estimated) on current numbers they have to get blockbuster level streaming rights.

I did some googling.

The highest numbers paid for a streamer are 160-200 million for blockbusters.

Knives Out has a multi movie deal over 400 million.

Movies are typically bought in bundles.

On current numbers they're looking at a loss similar to those numbers. If your movie flops st the box office I'm guessing you're not gonna get top dollar on streaming.

So to reach their break even point (estimated) on current numbers they have to get blockbuster level streaming rights.
It is still not determined that it will become a flop.
Let mario have their first weekend and lets look at the week thereafter.

Having earned 80 million in 5 days is an achievement on its own. Having people talk positively about D&D in general is a big win.
So lets wait and see.

Zardnaar

Legend
It is still not determined that it will become a flop.
Let mario have their first weekend and lets look at the week thereafter.

Having earned 80 million in 5 days is an achievement on its own. Having people talk positively about D&D in general is a big win.
So lets wait and see.

Basically what I have been saying yet people seem to think the movies doing great. Its not.

It's to early to call it a flop its not to early to say it hasn't been a smash hit. 80 million looks like a large number but it's barely over half the budget.

Mario's also a cheaper movie apparently.

If things do go bad they just spent to much making the movie.

Basically what I have been saying yet people seem to think the movies doing great. Its not.

It's to early to call it a flop its not to early to say it hasn't been a smash hit. 80 million looks like a large number but it's barely over half the budget.

No it’s doing pretty great.

Depends on what they can reuse for a sequel. And rather lose out a bit of money than producing a bad movie.

So a different question:

why is advertising a 150 million dollar movie more expensive than advertising a 100 million dollar movie?

So why is it a simple factor of the production cost? That does not sound mathematically sound.

I'm hoping it does well.

What I've seen from reviews is Mario is horrible. IF that holds true, I could see a strong surge of Mario but then an extremely sharp drop off after that. A drop off for Mario could be good for D&D: HAT.

Audience scores are high and I usually trust that more then critic scores.

But I hope your right.

It's a shame they're not going to sell it on DVD, Blu-Ray or digital, or sell the streaming rights (which typically include ongoing payments) or have merchandising that plays into their decisions. :(

It'll certainly hit DVD/Blue Ray and Pay Per View at some point.

It remains to be seen if they don't rent out the rights for a few months to Netflix or Amazon. Its going to be in Threaters for months btw.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads