• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC "D&D's Best Year Yet"

Oofta

Legend
It's probably peaked.

This thread probably won't age to well in 2-3 months or a year.

YouTube ad revenue already drying up, don't expect the D&D movie anytime soon if ever.

It's not impossible D&D stays where it is but yeah.

Amazon's also been closed in some countries and/ or can't deliver and the USPS isn't looking so good.

Don't be to surprised to see class action lawsuits vs Amazon either

Not all the comic and gamestores gonna survive and are closed.

Nothing grows forever, but I don't see imminent collapse either. For many people D&D is cheap entertainment compared to the alternatives.

I mean, when the alien AI zombie apocalypse arrives it will probably take a bite out of sales but we don't know when that will happen.

darjr

I crit!
Locally and in some of my more remote circles I’m seeing a second wave of people who joined the rush early in 5e coming back to it. And bringing new people.

Zardnaar

Legend
Nothing grows forever, but I don't see imminent collapse either. For many people D&D is cheap entertainment compared to the alternatives.

I mean, when the alien AI zombie apocalypse arrives it will probably take a bite out of sales but we don't know when that will happen.

I don't think will collapse but it's a luxury item. It will still do well on Amazon even if sales halve because everything else will be in the same boat.

Ashrym

Legend

No kidding. Compare it to the cost of 6 people going out to the movies. 3-4 books can cover a campaign for the same number of people over a lot more time than movie tickets.

The basic rules are even free.

Oofta

Legend
I don't think will collapse but it's a luxury item. It will still do well on Amazon even if sales halve because everything else will be in the same boat.
On a dollar per hour of entertainment ratio it's one of the cheapest forms of entertainment there is. A group of 5-7 people chip in, buy 3 books and you're done. Unless of course you just go with the "completely 100% free as long as you can download the rules" option.

Anyway, have a good one.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
True but it's also things like property prices.

Older GenXers could buy houses at 3 years wages like my sisters first house.

Here for example pre 1993 you got free university as well so if you graduated in say computing in the 80s no student loan and you got in on the ground floor with Microsoft/Apple or later Amazon/Google.

[EDIT - Sorry I did not see the warning from Morrus prior to posting this]

Yeah that's similar to me. I bought a house late (when I was 40), and paid 4 years wages. It's now worth more than double our purchase price, on paper. I don't believe that necessarily, but the house next to us sold for over a million and it's a pretty crappy house in my opinion. Crazy.

And then university wasn't free, but it was cheap enough for me to pay for it on my own out of my part time job at the time. Graduated in 1992.

But no ground floor of any tech company.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
It's probably peaked.

This thread probably won't age to well in 2-3 months or a year.

YouTube ad revenue already drying up, don't expect the D&D movie anytime soon if ever.

It's not impossible D&D stays where it is but yeah.

Amazon's also been closed in some countries and/ or can't deliver and the USPS isn't looking so good.

Don't be to surprised to see class action lawsuits vs Amazon either

Not all the comic and gamestores gonna survive and are closed.

For every game store that permanantly closes, more sales will just shift to Amazon, Walmart, Chapters (Canadian), and even more so D&D Beyond, Roll20, and Fantasy Grounds. D&D has more outlets/heads now then a Hydra, cut one off and two replace it.

The Digital sales have skyrocketed during Corona, Wildemount hit the number 1 book before the lockdowns hit, and Theros will likely hit just in time for restrictions to be eased enough so people can get their copy. The irony is D&D is actually making a fortune right now, because it can be played remotedly or wothin ones household, instead of being able to go out. This phenomena is also being seen in video game sales which have just exploded since Corona hit, people are buying video games (and digital D&D) products hardcore to keep from going insane!

And then stimulas money to restart the economy gets flowing help create enough of a market to keep D&D sales high.

Zardnaar

Legend
On a dollar per hour of entertainment ratio it's one of the cheapest forms of entertainment there is. A group of 5-7 people chip in, buy 3 books and you're done. Unless of course you just go with the "completely 100% free as long as you can download the rules" option.

Anyway, have a good one.

You're assuming people have dollars. Friends in America lost both jobs a month ago and are facing eviction already.

We did a whip around but it's not much and she's only the first. Six months ago I made a joke if things got that bad I could get her to New Zealand.

Can't do that either.

Different flavour of geek (PC gamer) but yeah. It's not that cheap when your incomes 0 or close to it.

gyor

Legend
You're assuming people have dollars. Friends in America lost both jobs a month ago and are facing eviction already.

We did a whip around but it's not much and she's only the first.

Different flavour of geek (PC gamer) but yeah. It's not that cheap when your incomes 0 or close to it.

At some point the American government will have to do something about this or face massive riots. Still I really wish your friend and those in the same boat to have some better luck, and I will pray for the poor Americans.

Zardnaar

Legend
For every game store that permanantly closes, more sales will just shift to Amazon, Walmart, Chapters (Canadian), and even more so D&D Beyond, Roll20, and Fantasy Grounds. D&D has more outlets/heads now then a Hydra, cut one off and two replace it.

The Digital sales have skyrocketed during Corona, Wildemount hit the number 1 book before the lockdowns hit, and Theros will likely hit just in time for restrictions to be eased enough so people can get their copy. The irony is D&D is actually making a fortune right now, because it can be played remotedly or wothin ones household, instead of being able to go out. This phenomena is also being seen in video game sales which have just exploded since Corona hit, people are buying video games (and digital D&D) products hardcore to keep from going insane!

And then stimulas money to restart the economy gets flowing help create enough of a market to keep D&D sales high.

Things are still running on fumes. That will run out soonish.

See previous post about geek friend facing eviction. I could get her a cheap flight here via my brother, he lost his job and the airports closed in any event.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads