• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) D&D VTT: Nerd Immersion talks about his recent playtest.

darjr

I crit!
I think it is a mistake. if it isn't a dedicated 5E machine, there is too much competition out there already. Unless, of course, they are going to cut off existing partners, which seems like a bad idea.
Note I didn’t rule out automation of 5e. In fact it seems they are working to have their cake and eat it too. Automation was in the Alpha but it wasn’t required. If they can keep that up they’ll be able to keep customers thst want to drift to other RPGs on occasion.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
For most VTTs there are 3rd party/fan importers. Getting your DNDB character to Foundry or Roll20 or FGU is generally pretty trivial.
They are still third party, one has to seek them out. Do not underestimate the convenience of having a thing out of the box.
The other thing I can imagine being unique and a driver though is verticality. If the engine does end up being capably 3D and open, folks may well want to use it to get elevation. Both BG3 and Solasta improve on 5E combat by adding a 3rd dimension and I can't imagine WotC isn't paying attention to that.
I agree, particularly if it can accurately target cone, and spheres.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think it is a mistake. if it isn't a dedicated 5E machine, there is too much competition out there already. Unless, of course, they are going to cut off existing partners, which seems like a bad idea.
Thing is, if a heavily homebrewed 5E game, or an AD&D game, or a Castles & Crusades game, or a Rolemasyer game, can be run using the minis and terrain mostly as visual reference just like a physical mat and set of minis.. that's versatile. And not like anything else out there. Personally, Zoom or Google Groups is enough to play the game, because of TotM, so a simple to use basic reference tool seems more friendly to me than a rigid calculation machine. 5E is pretty easy to play while drinking booze, I don't really need a machine to do it for me.

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
There's that.

One would think a 3D engine would find "cones and spheres" pretty trivial.
It is the UX side of this that can be the nightmare. There is also the Line of Effect from the origin. Throw in Walls of Force and evoker/careful spell shenanigans and you have a UX and programming nightmare on your hands. Or could depending on design choices.
Do you want the automation to decide or the DM to override stuff.
Drawing a cone is easy in the engine, drawing it where the player wants it is slightly harder and then throw in targeting and presenting that information to users where the fun starts.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It is the UX side of this that can be the nightmare. There is also the Line of Effect from the origin. Throw in Walls of Force and evoker/careful spell shenanigans and you have a UX and programming nightmare on your hands. Or could depending on design choices.
Do you want the automation to decide or the DM to override stuff.
Drawing a cone is easy in the engine, drawing it where the player wants it is slightly harder and then throw in targeting and presenting that information to users where the fun starts.
That's why it's good they are using a 3rd party Engine, so they don't have to reinvent every part of the process: Unreal will give them a major headstart here.

Edit: headscarf, really AutoCorrect???

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
And not like anything else out there.
What do you mean by this? There is a dozen -- if not more -- VTT solutions out there if you don't care about the computer managing the actual rules. There are even multiple 3D ones, not least of which (Tabletop Simulator) has been being developed and improved for years.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What do you mean by this? There is a dozen -- if not more -- VTT solutions out there if you don't care about the computer managing the actual rules. There are even multiple 3D ones, not least of which (Tabletop Simulator) has been being developed and improved for years.
None that are big Unreal engine productions, with the sort of visual content WotC will bring to the table when the tech side is hashed out.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
None that are big Unreal engine productions, with the sort of visual content WotC will bring to the table when the tech side is hashed out.
There is some really great D&D terrain available for tabletop simulator. The official VTT stuff will probably be prettier, but it will take years for them to get a big library -- unless they partner with someone like Dwarven Forge, and then you are talking about a pretty big expense or (more likely) multiple subscriptions (one to the VTT, one to DF, one to Hero Forge, etc...)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
There is some really great D&D terrain available for tabletop simulator. The official VTT stuff will probably be prettier, but it will take years for them to get a big library -- unless they partner with someone like Dwarven Forge, and then you are talking about a pretty big expense or (more likely) multiple subscriptions (one to the VTT, one to DF, one to Hero Forge, etc...)
They can make up a lot if they allow modding.

Remove ads