• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D "influencers" need to actively acknowledge other games.

I'm not Reynard, but I didn't think that was what they meant by their post. I took it more as a suggestion to look to see how Fate does it, with a view to maybe coming up with something similar in a 5e game.

So I missed out on the laugh-out-loud moment you enjoyed.
Aaaah I see, I see.

aco175

Legend
I would be a terrible influencer, since all I play is D&D, and 5e to boot. Or maybe people would come to my channel because all I talk about would be 5e and people that came to my channel thought that made me more knowledgeable about 5e. Or maybe, it is just the way people present the videos and about dialogue and production that gets people to come back.

Is it similar to me telling my Toyota mechanic to put in Ford parts since a lot of people like them and use them. I come to my Toyota dealership for a reason and not go to the general auto shop.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Kind of why I never watch any of those streamers. A 5E influencer is a dime a dozen because they want to cater to the most people who play the most popular game. I get it, you gotta make money.

Just to add: D&D is not the end of the RPG journey, but the beginning. I love D&D and play it more than any other RPG but D&D only does D&D well. There are so many better systems out there especially for different genres of games.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I want to be respectful in what I say because I really believe the right game is there for everyone and that is a very happy thing.

That said…my minis collection, my books, the rpg I play with my lifelong friends and kids is D&D.

I won’t go into my gaming pedigree… it does not matter. But if I go to chat D&D and someone starts talking Forge talk or telling me why I need some narrative focus…I am done and probably not going back.

Sprinkling in ideas from many games and how D&D might use this or that is fine—and ok to say this game does X right). Houserules are “core” D&D as far as I am concerned. But proselytizing about other games is a sure way to get me to run out of a discussion.

That said, it does not make it “right.” It just is. I am guessing that some of these content folks know this is the case for not a few people and I don’t blame them for self preservation.

But I hope there are other podcasts that can cater to the fans of other systems! I simply don’t have the time (Dad, career, many pets!)

Meech17

Adventurer
What do you think? Should D&D influencers acknowledge other games that solve problems they are talking about on their channels? If not, why not?
I don't think think it's the content creators responsibility to cover every game.

I think if you want content about FATE or any other system, then the onus is on you to seek out the creators making that content and support them. If you can't find any, then that means there's an open spot in the market, and perhaps you should consider making some, and being the change you wish to see in the world.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
In my opinion, if a person is watching a video about a topic and thinks "Why isn't the video mentioning X? X does what they are talking about!"... then it means that the viewer already knows about X and thus has no need for it to be mentioned in the video. The viewer already knows about it and thus will have learned nothing they didn't already know.

And if another person is watching the same video about the topic where something is missing from the game and that person doesn't know about X... then it doesn't matter that the person was never told about X. The video accomplished what it was trying to... merely tell the viewer that the game was missing the thing and the viewer says "Yeah, they seem to be right."

So in my opinion, the only reason I can see why it would be important for person to want X to be mentioned would be ego related-- they knew about X being the answer, the video confirmed their knowledge that X was the answer, and thus they could then pat themselves on the back for being right. But was that acknowledgement at all necessary to anybody else? Nope.

Which to me is no different than all the people who keep demanding WotC print the rules of the D&D that they think are important-- even if not necessary because they could always just house rule their own game with those rules for their own table-- just so that they can feel satisfied that the book also says what they believe. For a lot of players its not enough to make D&D their own... then need D&D to agree with them on what they think is important. They get a bit of an ego boost by doing so.

I'm referring to the legion of people across the internet, here and on Reddit most of all, who hear "5E' and get mad about it. You shouldn't need to look far to find it.

You like D&D, even if you prefer other games. You aren't the demographic I'm talking about.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So, I want to make this clear: if your job, that you have decided for yourself, is to tell people how to D&D better, then doing your job well absolutely requires you acknowledging the decades of development in the RPG space, both within and outside D&D.

Nothing inspires less confidence than an "influencer" actively telling you that they have been running D&D for 5 years and they have it all figured out. (Note: I am NOT saying GinniD does that.)

My thesis for this thread is simple and right on the tin: if you want to give advice on how to GM good, look at the whole scope of GMing, from Elusive Shift to Apocalypse World.
Technically, GinnyDi’s job is to get eyeballs on YouTube ads. Doing that well often requires different things than what would theoretically produce the best-quality version of whatever type of content a YouTuber makes.

Remove ads