• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D "influencers" need to actively acknowledge other games.

The way YouTube algorithm works is that it punishes channels for not focusing on a single topic.

So if a D&D influencer wanted to talk about non D&D TTRPGs, the algorithm will punish them by directing less people to their channel.

What creators have done is make spin off channels that focus on different topics.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
The way YouTube algorithm works is that it punishes channels for not focusing on a single topic.

So if a D&D influencer wanted to talk about non D&D TTRPGs, the algorithm will punish them by directing less people to their channel.

What creators have done is make spin off channels that focus on different topics.
I don't think the OP was suggesting that D&D YouTubers should make entire videos about other systems. He just wanted them to mention other systems during their D&D-focused videos.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I don't think the OP was suggesting that D&D YouTubers should make entire videos about other systems. He just wanted them to mention other systems during their D&D-focused videos.
Specifically, if talking about potential solutions for a common D&D problem, noting how other games have solved the problem. This not only helps educate players about other games, it gives credit where credit is due. One thing I really bristle at is people like Justin Alexander presenting ideas and methods like he invented them,rather than discovered them in the decades of discussions on RPG and D&D play that preceded him.

That's what I meant to talk about, anyway. I didn't stick the landing.

Oofta

Legend
Specifically, if talking about potential solutions for a common D&D problem, noting how other games have solved the problem. This not only helps educate players about other games, it gives credit where credit is due. One thing I really bristle at is people like Justin Alexander presenting ideas and methods like he invented them,rather than discovered them in the decades of discussions on RPG and D&D play that preceded him.

That's what I meant to talk about, anyway. I didn't stick the landing.

If they are lifting rules directly from another game, they should acknowledge it. But I think there's a lot of gray areas, people coming up with the same or similar solutions without ever having seen the first version. Even in science there have been simultaneous discoveries, we just tend to acknowledge only one (e.g. Jonas Salk and Albert Bruce Sabin both invented the polio vaccine in the 1950s).

There are only so many ways of running a game. Maybe someone did play game X and repeats it without remembering where they came across it. Maybe it's combining ideas from multiple games. Maybe they just happened to come to the same conclusions.

Maybe the content creators think people watching these videos don't really care much, they just want ideas and they don't want to sidetrack their presentation. In that case it's not important to the content creators.

mamba

Legend
One thing I really bristle at is people like Justin Alexander presenting ideas and methods like he invented them,rather than discovered them in the decades of discussions on RPG and D&D play that preceded him.
I never understood him as discovering them, just as presenting them, otherwise he would single-handedly have created just about everything in classic TTRPGs

As to giving credit, if he were to present a rule from a specific game he probably should, but when talking about a broad topic then I don’t think there is a single source he is referencing, and whoever did it first might not be clear either

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I never understood him as discovering them, just as presenting them, otherwise he would single-handedly have created just about everything in classic TTRPGs

As to giving credit, if he were to present a rule from a specific game he probably should, but when talking about a broad topic then I don’t think there is a single source he is referencing, and whoever did it first might not be clear either
I'll admit that he just rubs me the wrong way. I know some people consider him great, but I find him egotistical. But that's okay. Different strokes and all that. I'm sure some people HATE Coville, who I think is one of the best. There are probably even people that like D&D Shorts. ::shudder::

Thomas Shey

Legend
Shrug. Fine. Your experiences are different from mine.
What do you want out of noting that fact? Where is this supposed to go, as a conversation?

It was challenging your generalization, which seemed a faulty one to continue the conversation--or any related one--on.

Maybe I don't follow the right ones? GinniD went that whole video and never mentioned Fate campaign generation.
Maybe she doesn't know Fate. I had Fate for a while and could not get in to it's mechanical design or style, so would never even think of it as a solution to anything.

Remove ads