• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC D&D Digital Library

Dire Bare

Legend
I play arena a lot. The only time they've released a digital code for anything was with this latest prerelease.
Not a single pack of cards I have ever purchased ever has included a code for either mtg online or arena.
Arena codes come with pre-release packs, starter sets, and some pre-constructed decks (the older planeswalker decks, but not the newer commander decks). They've been doing this for a while, a long while.

Stormonu

Legend
I don't really agree that it's completely apples and oranges. The FLGS example especially, I don't think it would be particularly difficult to at least give FLGS codes to access the DDBeyond content if you purchase a hardcover there. The Essentials Kit had this in its box, so its something they could even do before the merger.

That said, I agree that WotC likely has no interest to actually do anything about this.
If the movie industry can sell DVD/Blu-Ray + digital, I see no reason WotC can't figure out the same with the books. It's ridiculous to buy the book full price and then be expected to turn around and buy the digital version for the same price. And I really wish it'd be in PDF or some format that actually mimics the look of the book.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If the movie industry can sell DVD/Blu-Ray + digital, I see no reason WotC can't figure out the same with the books. It's ridiculous to buy the book full price and then be expected to turn around and buy the digital version for the same price. And I really wish it'd be in PDF or some format that actually mimics the look of the book.
Lots of much smaller publishers with far fewer resources manage it. Hopefully it'll happen!

Alby87

Adventurer
Funny thing, they asked people to register to download that Monster Compendium, with the promise of more downloadable files. They gathered a lot of commercial information (names and emails), and then closed the service, redirecting to D&D Beyond. This is not a correct way of doing things, if you ask me. (Naturally no one has been forced to give those data, I know, but still...)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads