• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Character Generator FULL Version is OUT!!!

javierrivera

Explorer
Doesn't work with .Net, unless you know something I don't.

Virtualbox does work with .Net.

I'm right now using the Character Builder within a VM without any problem:

Ubuntu 8.10 - Vbos 2.1.2 - Windows Xp Home.

I don't know where you get that idea, but it's just wrong.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
This 5 update thing is going to irk me.

I have 5 players in one game and others that I share with. We didn't see any sort of internet connection when we first had the beta so I found a couple of players to go in on the subscription.

Well, good thing I've only found two or three other people to join me SO FAR!

Considering the game is made to run with five players and a DM, you'd think they'd allow more than 5 updates a month.

Given it is intended to operate as one person, one subscription, and you are violating their terms of service by using it in the fashion you are trying to use it, I would count yourself very lucky you get 5 uses!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Exactly.

I skimmed through the terms of service, and I didn't see a breach. Then again, I really only skimmed in the sense that I used word finder to try and find some keywords.

I've been considering looking into this. I figure it's all possible, just not easy.

"You may not create, facilitate, host, advertise, promote, link to or provide any other means through which the Program may be accessed, distributed, modified, downloaded or used by others."

"You must have authorized and separate Program access for each account you wish it to be enabled for and you must download and install the Program on each machine on which you wish to use and access the Program; you may be charged for each account used to access the Program and/or each copy of the Program or its Components. "

"non-exclusive, non-transferable, personal, revocable license "

evilbob

Explorer
I don't disagree with your bolded legalese, but doesn't it seem strange that the license agreement would be written to apparently make this only usable by one person when they give you 5 updates (a month) and talk as if you are ok to share those with your group? Again: apparently they do not intend for you to share it, but it still seems strange to me.

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
Is there any way to install it to a PC without an internet connection? I know if you can connect to the internet once to download the database you should be set, but what if the computer you want to install it on doesn't have internet access? (or has a really, really crappy connection)
I don't disagree with your bolded legalese, but doesn't it seem strange that the license agreement would be written to apparently make this only usable by one person when they give you 5 updates (a month) and talk as if you are ok to share those with your group? Again: apparently they do not intend for you to share it, but it still seems strange to me.
You might have multiple home PCs. I know I have computers in my house. One of the desktops I don't use, but the other two computers (one is a laptop) are mine. Then factor in someone could conceivably have 3-4 and the possibility of a crash on one, needs to format the HD, or something. Ultimately, 5 seems to be a good threshold where you really should be covered in 99% of situations without totally letting people go nuts with it.

HeirToPendragon

First Post
I remember them talking about sharing between groups a while back. They said something along the lines of the players making characters while giving the DM access to all of them.

James McMurray

First Post

Looks like the license agreement was written for the courtroom, while the code was written for the real world.

defendi

Explorer
Yeah, I'd use three downloads just in my house. My main computer, the one in the game room, and my laptop. That's just personal use, no sharing, and I'm at 3. Five seems a safe number for one person when you consider that.

occam

Adventurer
Virtualbox does work with .Net.

I'm right now using the Character Builder within a VM without any problem:

Ubuntu 8.10 - Vbos 2.1.2 - Windows Xp Home.

I don't know where you get that idea, but it's just wrong.

Leaving the 'tude aside, you're right. I was thinking of trying to run it using CrossOver, which doesn't support .Net. Using VBox, I'd still need a full copy of Windows.

Remove ads