• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Customizing Home Base

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
OK, call me an idiot (you'd not be the first!) but I don't see a link to your document there, only to the one on DMsGuild which you say is very long.
When I click on "Party Base" in their post, it takes me to an ENWorld resource. Do you not see that link?

edit: Ah, i think I understand you now. On that ENWorld page, click the orange button "Go to Download" in upper right to get the actual doc.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Direct Link! Party Base

Or if you prefer the Homebrewery source: Party Base
Very elegant!

Early thoughts: were it me, I'd tweak some of the pricing: some of the structures seem overpriced while some of the add-ons (e.g. ethereal-proof vault) seem cheaper than I'd expect.

I'm not sure how your "spaces" work. Do they relate directly to physical size or area covered? The notation says each one is a living space or functional space, but a roadside inn (for example) could easily have 25 such - taproom, kitchen, cellar, owners' living space, office/vault, and 20 guest rooms - so it's rather unclear what is implied by each one.

Still, nicely done! :)

Edit to add: one thing I might add is a few new (and probably expensive!) spells or enchantments that would only apply to bases e.g. some sort of inbound teleportation defense, scry-blocking, that sort of thing.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
So, in my teaching campaign to my kids and niece & nephew, they want a magical horse-drawn caravan as a mobile home base. Think a two (compact) story RV. If anyoen saw the animated Tangled series, like what they have in the second season. My nephew actually built a prototype in Minecraft.

My old-school practical thoughts are like "it's damn unwieldy" and "it's go up to fireballs" and "what happens if their horses get killed far from civilization and they need to abandon it" and "think of all the terrains they can't go on".

But the flip side of player investment and their joy in something fantastical makes me willing to give it a go. They are currently in the feywilds - one of the characters is an eladrin, and another is a half elf searching for her mother with a clue that if not her mom then maybe her grandmother was from the feywild - and it seems like just the thing to come from there that I can't hand-wave away problems and make it magical (in the real sense, not the game term, though it would be that as well).

Remove ads