• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Convince me that the Ranger is a necessary Class.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Yeah the "Shove everything into 4 classes" thing comes up so often but no one has ever justified why its beneficial to do so

Its not making anything simpler and if anything, its overcomplicated every single class because now they need to have multiple classes worth of content in each one. The best I've seen is 1E nostalgia but, the moment you turned your back on 1E it added druids, yet alone acrobats, barbarians, assassins, paladins, cavaliers, and that's before I even look at Dragon magazine

Inventing new classes and mucking around with them is fun and the game's supported it since day 1

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Perhaps it isn't necessary, but I like having the warrior+caster classes of paladin (divine) and ranger (druidic) and would love to see the warrior+wizard equivalent.

It is entirely possible to strip down many of the classes to the basics and make classes like barbarian, paladin, ranger, druid, warlock, and monk subclasses of say fighter, rogue, wizard, or cleric but I also think it's fun to have them as separate classes, it keeps them a little more focused and allows for the subclasses to be better focused around the class which leads to greater class/subclass diversity.

mellored

Legend
Sure, it would. First, you take twenty levels of abilities and crunch them into five, and then you are removing any of those classes subclasses special abilities to boot.

Put your money where your mouth is: design me a fighter that can emulate a warrior of shadow monk in only 5 subclass levels. No feats. Let's see how little a shadow-monk suffers...
For an extra challenge. Make every class a subclass of Ranger.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
*if you're an ignorant hole person.

The quote comes from Arthur C. Clarke. He was an assistant editor of Physics Abstracts, and president of the British Interplanetary Society. His book, The Exploration of Space, was used to help convince Kennedy that humans could go to the Moon. As one of the most influential science and science fiction writers of his time, in 2000, he was made a Knight Bachelor by the British Crown for his services to literature. His record of personal intellectual achievement, and work on advancement of science is pretty unimpeachable.

Maybe watch who you call an, "ignorant hole person."

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
For an extra challenge. Make every class a subclass of Ranger.
In alphabetical order:
  • Artificer: Urban Rover (specialized in tools and urban movement/parkour/etc.)
  • Bard: Fey Wanderer (existing subclass)
  • Barbarian: Wild Brawler (just get Rage, pretty straightforward)
  • Cleric: Ritualist (combining herbalism and religious practices)
  • Druid: Werebeast (pick a creature you can shapeshift into, maybe get more options at high level)
  • Fighter: Hunter (existing subclass)
  • Monk: Pugilist (unarmed combat, locking down foes)
  • Paladin: Anointed Champion (LoH, auras)
  • Rogue: Gloomstalker (existing subclass)
  • Sorcerer: Elementalist (drawing forth raw elemental power)
  • Warlock: Hexblade (basically blade pact + choice of patron)
  • Wizard: Naturalist (academic study of nature and magic)
You will, of course, note that pretty much all of these necessarily lose important aspects of the archetypes in question. That is not an accident. It is not, strictly, "intentional"--except insofar as doing such replacement at all is intentional.

I'm still scratching my head that I can post some amazing worldbuilding and get a couple of pages at best, but say something about core dnd classes and we're up to 17 pages.

As for myself, I posted this because I keep getting told Robin Hood isn't a ranger and this was the response.

admittedly there are a lot of versions of Robin Hood, but my default is this one.

As an avatar of Herne the Hunter, this is the quintessential ranger with tracking, good archery, and magical abilities that could be translated into spells.

The only thing I would add is the patriot arrow from another Robin Hood and I would play the heck out of it.

I will turn this around and ask this.

What is the purpose of the ranger and what examples do we have from fiction?

because when I look at the 2e player's handbook, I get the following:

"The ranger is a hunter and woodsman who lives by not only his sword, but also his wits. Robin Hood, Orion, Jack the giant killer, and the huntresses of Diana are examples of rangers from history and legend. The abilities of the ranger make him particularly good at tracking, woodcraft, and spying."

I am not sure how well that translates in later editions.

ECMO3

Hero
No, he didn't. And Tolkien acknowledged in one of his letters that Men are never supposed to be able to use Magic. It was actually a mistake he made in describing Numenor; so if the Numenorians weren't supposed to be spellcasters, Aragorn sure as hell isn't.

Men are not supposed to use magic, but I believe Aragorn was adopted by Elves.

Aragorn also had visions sitting on the Seat of Seeing and let's remember that seat was built by men.

DND idiosyncrasies are irrelevant. Whats actually being described isn't anything more than folk medicine. Ie, say some prayers and then shove some plants into the wound.

This is a D&D forum discussing a D&D class. The idiosyncrasies to how D&D defines magic are the only ones that are relevant in this discussion and in that respect chanting, singing some words over the and then them being healed healing someone is EXACTLY what a magic spell is as it pertains to D&D magic (which is what we are discussing).

Calling someone back from what is assumed to be near death - also magic.

While we are talking about terms, the term "magic" as it is practically applied in the modern era refers to an entertainer employing slight of hand or real life illusions as practiced by David Copperfield and Penn & Teller. But that is not what we are talking about here, we are using the D&D definition of it and in that definition Aragorn used magic (and renowned magicians like Copperfield and P&T don't).

I too have shouted someone awake. In real life. Pretty sure I wasn't doing magic.

When you did it, did your words also "heal her body and you recall her spirit from the Dark Valley"?

Was what you did something no one else standing around talking about it would have been able to do? Would the person you shouted awake have died if she awoke in despair?

I am not reading into this, that is what Tolkien wrote!

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Fighter Subclass: Shadow Blade​

Shadow Arts Starting at 3rd level, you gain the ability to harness the power of shadows to enhance your combat prowess.
  • You gain advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made in dim light or darkness.
  • You also gain access to a pool of Shadow Points, which you can expend to perform various shadow-infused techniques. Your Shadow Points equal your Fighter level.
Shadow Techniques At 3rd level, you learn two Shadow Techniques of your choice from the list below. You learn additional techniques of your choice at 7th, 10th, 15th, and 18th levels. You can use only one technique per turn unless otherwise noted.
  • Shadow Step: You can spend 1 Shadow Point to teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see that is also in dim light or darkness.
  • Shadow Strike: When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can spend 1 Shadow Point to deal an additional 1d6 necrotic damage.
  • Cloak of Shadows: As a bonus action, you can spend 2 Shadow Point to become invisible until the start of your next turn or until you attack or cast a spell.
  • Shadow Defense: When you are hit by an attack, you can use your reaction and spend 1 Shadow Point to impose disadvantage on the attack roll.
  • Shadow Dodge: When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you can use your reaction and spend 1 Shadow Point to instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.
Shadow Mastery At 7th level, your connection to the shadows deepens, granting you further abilities. You gain the following benefits:
  • You can move through nonmagical difficult terrain without expending extra movement.
  • You can use your Action Surge feature to use two Shadow Techniques in the same turn, but you cannot use the same technique twice in one turn.
Umbral Strike At 10th level, you learn to channel the darkness within you to empower your strikes. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can spend 2 Shadow Points to deal an additional 2d6 necrotic damage.

Shadow Veil Starting at 15th level, you can weave shadows around yourself, becoming a ghostly apparition on the battlefield. As an action, you can spend 3 Shadow Points to enter the Shadow Veil for 1 minute. While in the Shadow Veil, you have resistance to all damage except force damage, and you can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. Additionally, you have advantage on all attack rolls against any creature that can't see you. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Shadow Born At 18th level, you become a master of shadows, able to bend them to your will with ease. You gain the following benefits:
  • You have advantage on saving throws against being blinded, charmed, frightened, or deafened.
  • You can spend 5 Shadow Points to cast the darkness spell, without expending a spell slot. Once you cast darkness with this feature, you can't do so again until you finish a short rest.

The quote comes from Arthur C. Clarke. He was an assistant editor of Physics Abstracts, and president of the British Interplanetary Society. His book, The Exploration of Space, was used to help convince Kennedy that humans could go to the Moon. As one of the most influential science and science fiction writers of his time, in 2000, he was made a Knight Bachelor by the British Crown for his services to literature. His record of personal intellectual achievement, and work on advancement of science is pretty unimpeachable.

Maybe watch who you call an, "ignorant hole person."

The joke was in reference to Hobbits, given I was previously talking about them being entirely ignorant to what was or wasn't magic.

This is a D&D forum discussing a D&D class. The idiosyncrasies to how D&D defines magic are the only ones that are relevant in this discussion and in that respect chanting, singing some words over the and then them being healed healing someone is EXACTLY what a magic spell is as it pertains to D&D magic (which is what we are discussing).

And what I and the other person were discussing is what happened in Lord of the Rings.

I am not reading into this, that is what Tolkien wrote!

Yes, he wrote Aragorn saying he was doing those things. He also wrote that all he actually did was shout at her.

Remove ads