• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete Psionic: Divine Mind (Aproved)

Patlin

Explorer
This thread is for discussing whether this base class from Complete Psionic should be accepted into LEB. Complete Psionic was originally released 4/11/06.

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I have CompPsi, but no experience with Divine Mind's in play. Guess the easiest comparison is with Paladins.

- Lower BAB (as PsyWar)
- Gain powers about the same time as Paladins
- Get some pp's to be used for Psi feats (or if you are Elan)
- Get some abilities based upon mantle's chosen

The close does not seem broken to me, but any others who have seen/played them?

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Hey,

I personally like the Divine Mind a lot, but I feel that (like the Pally) it suffers heavily from MAD. I don't think it is broken but I don't think that it's incredibly powerful either. One of the nice things about it is that it has a major class ability tied solely to helping their friends (Auras) which makes them a great team player.

Actually, I've been waiting a while for someone to propose a Divine Mind. I want my first Living Eberron PC to be one :)

Patlin

Explorer
As to MAD, unless I'm recalling it wrong their major class ability doesn't rely on any attributes at all. I suppose it might for some of the auras, there are a bunch of them...

Their spellcasting abilities are pretty minor. You wouldn't really need more than a 12 to 14 in the casting stat. Otherwise, you're as free to distribute your points as a fighter is.

What am I missing?

I'll reread the class tonight and see if I can answer my own question, unless someone beats me to it.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Well, as a fighting type, you'd probably rely on Str/Dex (ranged or melee) and Con. A Divine Mind's powers are Wis-based. And they have Divine Grace at 4th level (Cha). So if you want to be a relatively optimized Divine-Mind, you'd have a lot max out.

Patlin

Explorer
nimisgod said:
Well, as a fighting type, you'd probably rely on Str/Dex (ranged or melee) and Con. A Divine Mind's powers are Wis-based. And they have Divine Grace at 4th level (Cha). So if you want to be a relatively optimized Divine-Mind, you'd have a lot max out.

True, but no matter where you put your stats a 20th level Divine Mind with the standard attack, defense and perception auras active and no applicable feats will be granting a +5 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls, a +5 morale bonus to AC, and a +6 morale bonus to Initiative, Listen and Spot to himself and to all allies within 50'.

If you only have a 12 wisdom and charisma, springing for moderately priced +4 enhancement items will allow you to use all of your powers and cause divine grace to give a +3 to all saving throws. You can benefit from a lot of stats, but in my opinion you're pretty independent of stats. If you want to be a melee monster, nothing really stops you from buying an 18 strength. If you want to be an archer, you can pump Dexterity.

I think you're a lot more free to chose with a Divine Mind than with, for example, a Monk.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Okay, did a twice-over on this and it seems rather balanced to me. It is overall much stronger than a Bard for a similar, though not identical, role, but that's okay with me because the Bard was designed in a silly way.

YES

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads