• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Class spell lists and pact magic are back!

If they do, I hope they do a better job of making those variant rules actually mesh with the core game. My biggest problem with the current DMG is the variant rules don't mesh well without breaking something else, or having carry down impacts. Plus, there is little explanation about what they're supposed to do or look like in actual play.

They talked a good game about modularity, and as far as I could tell, it isn't there at all. Whenever I tried to house rule something, or change a mechanic, it had unforeseen consequences.

With re: to the playtest, I realized after Next, that the game had already left the station, and wasn't travelling to a destination I liked (i.e. the game isn't targeted to me anymore, and that's fine, I'm old, and have been playing a long time). So I hopped off the ride, and feel a lot better playing earlier versions, or other games that are more enjoyable to me and my group.
I do agree regarding options in the DMG, to a certain extend at least. I use massive damage and cleave rules once in a while with some modifications. I also use variant rest rules (with some modifications). Thise work well enough.

I still hope the next DMG will have a better toolbox with a lot better organizations.
Variant and supplement rules are all over the place and using them a chore.

I hope you found a game that better suited your needs and maybe ypu hop on the train again.

mamba

Legend
I still hope they will include variant rules that some love and some hate in the DMG or a tasha like book.
I am not expecting anything for the stuff I would have wanted. Have fun creating a variant where no class recharges on a SR and all classes have the same subclass progression. That is basically a second PHB, and one I would actually like

I am not expecting anything for the stuff I would have wanted. Have fun creating a variant where no class recharges on a SR and all classes have the same subclass progression. That is basically a second PHB, and one I would actually like
I would have liked that too... but I guess the ship has sailed.

Last edited:

it has for WotC, which is why I am looking around…
Looking around is always a good idea.
I still want to see how it turns out. I would have liked something else, but overall I really liked playtest 7. But maybe someone else will make a game with only long rest recharges and unified class progression. Maybe even WotC when they are doing 6e in 10 years.

mamba

Legend
I still want to see how it turns out.
It is pretty unavoidable to find out :) I am in no hurry to, at this point 2024 is more a last resort for me

I would have liked something else, but overall I really liked playtest 7.
haven’t taken a closer look, I am more interested in the larger changes / direction than small tweaks

Will vote down the brawler and ignore the rest

But maybe someone else will make a game with only long rest recharges and unified class progression.
I hope so, no point in there being 5 copies of the same stuff, you need to distinguish your offer somehow

Maybe even WotC when they are doing 6e in 10 years.
maybe I buy a PHB of theirs then again, right now I am not all that interested. The missed opportunity edition…

Chaosmancer

Legend

WotC surveys make a number of those mistakes.

Do they now?

1) Sampling and Reliability: WoTC is making no mistakes here. They are getting a plenty large sample size, and they know exactly who they are getting. Self-selected survey takers ie the most passionate and engaged section of the fan-base, those they need to please the most to ensure long-term success.

2) Inherent Bias in Questions: WoTC is making no mistakes here. Their questions are perfectly neutral

3) Allow Logistical Hurdles to Disrupt Participation: Okay, granted, they could have a mistake here. Their surveys have gotten longer and longer, and the questions are all essentially the same. There is a fatigue factor at play. Though it is also mitigated by the self-selection of passionate people who will work through the survey anyways. But, I can give this to you, it isn't like this point has been made by either of you before right this moment.

4) Conflating Attitude and Behavior: Not a mistake WoTC is making, they aren't asking anything like either of these

5) Ignorance of Outliers: HAHAHAHA, yeah, WoTC isn't making this mistake any time soon. They are WELL aware of their outliers.

6) Confirmation Bias: Very little evidence of this at all, so can't say it is a mistake WoTC is making.

7) Correlation for Causation: Doesn't apply to the questions being asked, so can't be a mistake they are making

Finally, "and only a rigorous and critical look can definitively improve your results." Something we can say with confidence WoTC has done over the last decade. So, in summary... they may have made ONE of those mistakes.

Because playtests are super stable and don't shift. ;)

Playtest 7 hasn't changed since I downloaded it. And it won't until... WoTC changes it. Seems like a completely different situation.

No. I talked about them getting percentages for each category independently and only as a broad X percentage voted this way, which doesn't give a hard satisfaction rating. i.e. you can say that 44% of survey takers said they were satisfied, but you can't say that there was an 80% satisfaction rating, because they can't know how satisfied the customers were with their votes of "satisfied" or "very satisfied."

You might be "very satisfied" at 66% and I might be "very satisfied" at 88%

You don't need a "hard" satisfaction rating, whatever that means. And, yes, you CAN say that there was an 80% satisfaction overall. That math is completely possible to do, using the techniques developed by the field. It is not actually impossible, as has been demonstrated by the people in the field... doing exactly that all the time, across disciplines.

Because we are not wrong and you haven't actually countered what we are saying. You keep misunderstanding things and trying to counter things we aren't saying with links and statements that aren't accurate about what WotC is actually doing.

Good God! 🤦‍♂️

They CAN'T do that. It's not possible, because none of their specific satisfaction percentages are accurate. It's quite literally impossible for them to know how many of the "unsatisfied" and "very unsatisfied" customers want the idea scrapped completely and how many want another iteration of the ability.

Just repeating "They use the entirety of it!" doesn't counter diddly.

IT
IS
NOT
IMPOSSIBLE

You keep insisting it is. It isn't. They are capable of taking all their results and getting a single percentage. You are wrong about this.

Yes they are. Not directly, but if they are saying that if satisfaction hits X percentage they will give it another go, they are asking it indirectly. If they weren't, they wouldn't be doing it.

Asking a question directly is what they are doing, then using the answer to that question to determine step two. You can't declare their questions are wrong because they are using the answer to determine something, and then declare they are "indirectly" asking a question they are not asking.

You keep reading into their survey things that are not there, to justify your declarations that was is there is flawed. That isn't how this works.

And yet they announced a percentage of satisfaction that if hit, will result in trying to make a successful incarnation of the ability. You've just admitted they don't have accurate data to determine that. Thanks for finally conceding one of the points that @mamba and I have been making.

Yes, they announce the percentage of "We like this". Then they use that data to determine if they should reiterate something. BUT THEY DO NOT ASK IF WE WANT THEM TO REITERATE IT. That isn't the goal of the survey. That isn't what they are gathering data on. I've conceded this point before, because it is a non-point. The only reason you two think this is a victory for you is you keep intentionally misrepresenting what WoTC is actually doing.

Chaosmancer

Legend
that is your real answer for everything. You have never had anything else to say for four weeks, no matter what the topic was.

Never think about anything, never engage with anything, just say whatever pops into your mind and call it a fact because ‘WotC make no mistake, WotC big’, that is all the ‘proof’ you ever have for anything you say

Now you are even applying that to something that you have no idea whether they even do. You just googled something and ran with the first answer you found, and that you barely understand the basics of (and that is me being generous). And yet that too obviously is something they do and that is working great for them because ‘how could it not’…

And your answer to everything is to continously insist that WoTC isn't doing what they are doing. You've presented false information, misinformation, and flat out speculation constantly. You insist on having the objective truth, when half the time you don't even seem to understand what WoTC has said about their own process.

And yes, I still hold up a bleeping DECADE of using this survey method to make sucessful products as a pretty BLEEPING strong point that IT IS WORKING. Broken systems don't produce quality content for a decade without anyone noticing they are broken. If they are.... then they aren't actually broken!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Do they now?

1) Sampling and Reliability: WoTC is making no mistakes here. They are getting a plenty large sample size, and they know exactly who they are getting. Self-selected survey takers ie the most passionate and engaged section of the fan-base, those they need to please the most to ensure long-term success.
They aren't taking random samples from all the different kinds of players in all the different ways the game is played. They are sampling only those people who go online and want to partake in the survey. Self-selected passionate surveyors don't represent the bulk of their players who are casual. They are bungling it here.
2) Inherent Bias in Questions: WoTC is making no mistakes here. Their questions are perfectly neutral
This one is decent. I don't think the questions themselves have a lot of bias. They're just being used incorrectly to get a resulting percentage that is inherently off base.
3) Allow Logistical Hurdles to Disrupt Participation: Okay, granted, they could have a mistake here. Their surveys have gotten longer and longer, and the questions are all essentially the same. There is a fatigue factor at play. Though it is also mitigated by the self-selection of passionate people who will work through the survey anyways. But, I can give this to you, it isn't like this point has been made by either of you before right this moment.
Yes. They are bungling this one as well. there are often 12-15 of the same exact question over and over. Feat #1, Feat #1, Feat #3..... Feat #15. Spell #1...
4) Conflating Attitude and Behavior: Not a mistake WoTC is making, they aren't asking anything like either of these
This one I don't know about, but then I didn't say that they were messing them all up.
5) Ignorance of Outliers: HAHAHAHA, yeah, WoTC isn't making this mistake any time soon. They are WELL aware of their outliers.
Aware of outliers isn't what it's talking about man. It doesn't matter if they are well aware of the outliers if they are ignoring them. It's saying that the outliers can deliver the most important information and WotC has said that they ignore the outliers every time. We know this because if something hits 80%, the outliers be damned. Same with 70%. They are messing this one up.
6) Confirmation Bias: Very little evidence of this at all, so can't say it is a mistake WoTC is making.
You have to be joking. Crawford said straight out that they were doing this. He went on camera and said that they are putting in questions knowing or having a very good idea of how it will turn out before they ask the question and were just looking for confirmation. 🤦‍♂️
7) Correlation for Causation: Doesn't apply to the questions being asked, so can't be a mistake they are making
No. That's the error you are making in assuming that the surveys are the reason the game is doing well.
Finally, "and only a rigorous and critical look can definitively improve your results." Something we can say with confidence WoTC has done over the last decade. So, in summary... they may have made ONE of those mistakes.
No. They made multiple mistakes.
Playtest 7 hasn't changed since I downloaded it. And it won't until... WoTC changes it. Seems like a completely different situation.
Are you deliberately acting this way? Because playtests is a plural word. How about you go look at all 7 and see if things are remaining stable?
You don't need a "hard" satisfaction rating, whatever that means. And, yes, you CAN say that there was an 80% satisfaction overall. That math is completely possible to do, using the techniques developed by the field. It is not actually impossible, as has been demonstrated by the people in the field... doing exactly that all the time, across disciplines.
Then do it. Show me how you can get an exact rating of 80% satisfaction by doing the math of 1000 people said they were very satisfied, 583 people said they were satisfied, 1200 said they were unsatisfied, and 188 said they were very unsatisfied. Do that math and come up with an exact satisfaction percentage that includes all of those voters.

I'm betting that you're going to ignore the subjectivity in ratings such that you could be satisfied by a rating of 66% but I might be satisfied at 61%.
IT
IS
NOT
IMPOSSIBLE

You keep insisting it is. It isn't. They are capable of taking all their results and getting a single percentage. You are wrong about this.
I'll wait for you to show me above that it is possible.
Asking a question directly is what they are doing, then using the answer to that question to determine step two. You can't declare their questions are wrong because they are using the answer to determine something, and then declare they are "indirectly" asking a question they are not asking.

You keep reading into their survey things that are not there, to justify your declarations that was is there is flawed. That isn't how this works.
If they are asking direct questions that don't include reworking the ability, and you are correct that they are not indirectly asking that, then they can't possibly get a correct answer for when to rework an ability, because they don't have any information at all from us saying that we want it reworked. They are just making unfounded assumptions.

Edit: turned causal into casual, because, well...

Last edited:

Remove ads