• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Class features with drawbacks

G

Guest 6801328

Except by doing so, you overvalue Frenzy because you are treating the bonus action like free real estate, when in reality there are many ways to get an extra attack as a bonus action. Sure, Frenzy is the best one, but that doesn't make it okay to assume the others are worthless. Frenzy comes after dipping 3 levels into a class and is still pretty restrictive; by comparison, anyone can perform two-weapon fighting.

Even if you try to isolate it though...

...this is still an exaggeration. Over a three round combat, Frenzy boosts your damage by 4d6+6 (20 average) (since you wanna be strict about keeping it isolated I'm not counting rage damage, that credit goes to Rage rather than Frenzy); in the meantime, the Battle Master is getting 4d8 (18 average) damage plus riders. Again, approximately the same impact, with the Fighter only spending short rest resources.

Maybe the DMG suggests 3 rounds as the way to compute damage (I don’t recall seeing that) but, sure, if you use that to compare the two it’s going to make things like Superiority Dice look better, relatively. And maybe your table runs differently than mine, but in my experience the epic fights...the ones where everybody is burning their cool downs...last a LOT longer. 10+ rounds is not uncommon for us. So that may be coloring how I evaluate it.

Also, you should count the rage damage, but only for the bonus attack, because it’s damage that wouldn’t have occurred without Frenzy. Battle master doesn’t get to count Str because the damage is on top of normal attacks.

What are all these ways of getting bonus attacks of which ye speak, that don’t require Feats? Sure, a barb could dual wield and do....the same 2d6. Except then at 5th level it’s 3d6 instead of 4d6.

G

Guest 6801328

Then, what if the day goes on for 6, 7, 8 medium or harder encounters? More? The Barbarian was starting to hurt when the second one started. And each level of exhaustion is an order of magnitude worse than the last. We can both find situations where the Frenzy Barb excels or fails, but I wouldn't say it excels the vast majority of the time.

Forgot to respond to this.

If you used Frenzy on a fight that lasts three rounds, and then you still have 6-8 medium/hard encounters before a long rest, I'd say you really misjudged that first fight badly.

But seriously, how often over the course of a 1-20 campaign do you think you'd f*** up this badly? If you really can't judge about where you are in the adventuring day, and/or which fights are the really important ones, either because of skill or because of your table's style, then, yeah, Berserker probably isn't for you.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Also, you should count the rage damage, but only for the bonus attack, because it’s damage that wouldn’t have occurred without Frenzy. Battle master doesn’t get to count Str because the damage is on top of normal attacks.

It's also damage that is part of the class outside of the feature in question. Saying Rage damage should count towards Frenzy's total is like saying maneuver damage should count toward the extra attacks from Action Surge, because the attacks the superiority dice were applied to wouldn't have happened without Action Surge.

What are all these ways of getting bonus attacks of which ye speak, that don’t require Feats?
Martial Arts, Flurry of Blows, Two-Weapon Fighting, War Priest, Quickened Firebolt, Spiritual Weapon. And that's just non-feat granted attacks. Other impactful features also make use of this resource the Frenzy Barb is giving up. Also, why don't feats count again? After all, that's kind of an important point. The bonus action frenzy uses is such a drawback because now GWM grants Fighters and such a free attack when it procs, but Barbarians don't because they already spent it.

If you used Frenzy on a fight that lasts three rounds, and then you still have 6-8 medium/hard encounters before a long rest, I'd say you really misjudged that first fight badly.

You criticized the Fighter for "running out of gas" after a few rounds, but a character who is "out of gas" will perform the same as a character who has resources left but refuses to use them. It's not even about judging. If you face that gauntlet of encounters, even if you only use your frenzy on the last one, the Fighter could take no short rests, foolishly refuse to make use of his abilities until you frenzy, and still outperform the Barbarian in every fight except the last, and keep up for the first few rounds of the last.

G

Guest 6801328

It's also damage that is part of the class outside of the feature in question. Saying Rage damage should count towards Frenzy's total is like saying maneuver damage should count toward the extra attacks from Action Surge, because the attacks the superiority dice were applied to wouldn't have happened without Action Surge.

Hmmm. We seem to be crossing signals here.

If normally I do 2 attacks, adding Str and rage to each one, then I get to make a 3rd attack because of Frenzy, I add rage and Str to that attack. So base class does 2 * (weapon damage + rage + str) and Frenzy adds an addition (weapon damage + rage + str). Yes, the rage damage is a class feature, but you only get 2 of them without the subclass feature.

Martial Arts, Flurry of Blows, Two-Weapon Fighting, War Priest, Quickened Firebolt, Spiritual Weapon. And that's just non-feat granted attacks. Other impactful features also make use of this resource the Frenzy Barb is giving up.

Ah, I thought you mean lots of ways for barbarians, presumably of other subclasses, to get a bonus attack. I'm not sure why you think all those other classes are relevant to this discussion. If you want to pick one and model how much their level 3 subclass ability is worth, I'm all ears.

Also, why don't feats count again? After all, that's kind of an important point. The bonus action frenzy uses is such a drawback because now GWM grants Fighters and such a free attack when it procs, but Barbarians don't because they already spent it.

Because there's an opportunity cost for Feats. That is, if you don't take GWM because you already have a bonus attack (but see below) then you get to take something else. And how do you compare, say, Mobile, with GWM?

That said, I think GWM with Frenzy is still mostly ok. The bonus attack of Frenzy occurs mostly against mooks. So don't waste Frenzy on those fights. Sure, sometimes (about 1/10, assuming Reckless Attacks) you'll crit, C'est la vie. But if you're using Reckless you'll often (not always) use the -5/+10, so GWM will shine anyway.

You criticized the Fighter for "running out of gas" after a few rounds, but a character who is "out of gas" will perform the same as a character who has resources left but refuses to use them. It's not even about judging. If you face that gauntlet of encounters, even if you only use your frenzy on the last one, the Fighter could take no short rests, foolishly refuse to make use of his abilities until you frenzy, and still outperform the Barbarian in every fight except the last, and keep up for the first few rounds of the last.

I wasn't "criticizing" it so much as commenting that the numbers you quote only work for a few rounds, then he's a normal fighter again (which is still pretty darned good).

But, sure. Different classes/subclasses/builds shine at different things. The Battlemaster build is great for a few rounds once per short rest. Not arguing with that.

Frenzy just isn't like Superiority Dice. It's not an easy way to sprinkle extra damage (with some additional benefits) here and there. Yes, mistiming it carries some risk. But if you time it right it's freaking awesome.

Anyway, about to drive 1,000 miles. Catch you all on the flipside.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
Anyway, about to drive 1,000 miles. Catch you all on the flipside.

But, I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more...

I think that's the lyric. My Google is lazy right now. Hopefully everyone can have an hour or so of that catchy little tune from the Proclaimers rattling around in their heads.

In all seriousness, safe travels.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Ah, I thought you mean lots of ways for barbarians, presumably of other subclasses, to get a bonus attack. I'm not sure why you think all those other classes are relevant to this discussion.

Primarily because you didn't specify barbarians when you said...

Better, by far, than any other level 3 subclass ability. Vastly better than Action Surge (at least in terms of dpr).

...and even went so far as to bring up another class' feature when you did.

But, sure. Different classes/subclasses/builds shine at different things.

We appear to be on the same page now that I see what you mean. I still think you are underestimating Frenzy's flaws, and personally I prefer the Bear Totem Barb's resistances, but we're not gonna be able to quantify and compare these so let's call it a matter of preference. Enjoy your trip!

G

Guest 6801328

Primarily because you didn't specify barbarians when you said...

...and even went so far as to bring up another class' feature when you did.

1,000 mile drive through the night. Check.
Power-nap upon arrival. Check.
Back on Enworld. Check.

Was thinking about this exchange on the drive, and I'm still puzzled so wanted to get back to it.

In my mind there are two distinct questions to figure out, regarding the worth of Frenzy:
  1. How much is the bonus attack worth? Part of the calculation for that is asking what else the barbarian might have done with the bonus action.
  2. How does it compare to other 3rd level subclass abilities, either for the barbarian or other classes?
So other classes/subclasses are relevant, but only so far as determining what a 3rd level subclass ability should be worth.

And other bonus actions are relevant, but only so far as they are bonus actions that the barbarian could be taking if not using Frenzy.

What I don't understand is the relevance of bonus actions that barbarians can not take, that aren't granted due to 3rd level subclass abilities.

So, sure, martial arts and spiritual weapon...not to mention disengage/dash/hide for a rogue...are all useful bonus actions. But since barbarians don't have the option of using those, they are not opportunity costs for using Frenzy.

What am I missing?

Remove ads