• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you do this with a wish?

Rpjunkie

First Post
Can you wish for a feat? I just got a wish and wanted to get opinions? My DM is leaning towards yes, but wanted more opinions.

Rpj

Attachments

• vtm.png
    vtm.png
    549.6 KB · Views: 99

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Yes, that's a perfectly valid use of a Wish, in my opinion. You can wish for ability score increases and powerful magic items, so I think that wishing for a feat is in line with the power available from a wish.

Kweezil

Caffeinated Reprobate
*slips his DM's hat*

At first glance this seems okay, though I'd limit it to feats that you already have the prerequisites for. However, this could lead to problems. THe wish burns xp, the caster is getting more powerful without rising in level, and is hence more powerful than his CR. Long-lived or undead mages and sorcerers could use multiple wishes to get every feat in the book. Sure it would use up a boatload of xp, but if you live forever, what do you care? Some dragons can get wish at wyrm or great wyrm level. How would you like to fight a red dragon with every fighter feat in the book?

All said and done, no I think it's too powerful.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Whille the wish spell is highly subjective, I'd probably allow a character to wish for nearly any feat (of course there are some feats I might now allow in the campaign). I'd add the limitation a character can only do it once, as a character with a ring of 3 wishes could add 3 feats to himself (potentially).

graydoom

First Post
I somewhat agree with Kweezil. If the feat-gaining potential was unlimited, this could grow too powerful in the end. However, if it was capped (just like ability score increase for Wish) then I think it would be perfectly fine.

Four or five feats maximum ever gainable through Wish sounds good to make. This makes it still a viable option but not an unlimited route to power.

StealthyMark

First Post
I've to agree with Kweezil, I'd not grant Feats, neither Skill Points, definitively. But swapping Feats/Skills/Spells is absolutely OK.

Feats, Skills and Spells are much more important than Ability Scores. Because the former can qualify you for a specific Prestige Class. Wan't to become Loremaster or Archmage? You have to choose these Skill Focus Feats! Just a Wish wouldn't do!

dcollins

Explorer
Absolutely not. It's certainly not one of the allowed effects under the wish description. Lending any kind of permanent, class-based ability would be completely unbalancing.

The fact that everyone preceding has thrown in their own house-rule limitation for maximum number of feats is evidence that allowing it would break the game balance.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
dcollins said:
The fact that everyone preceding has thrown in their own house-rule limitation for maximum number of feats is evidence that allowing it would break the game balance.

Actually, I'd say that the fact that everyone preceding has thrown in their own house-rule limitation for the maximum number of feats is evidence that allowing it without restrictions would break the game. By adding the restrictions, most of the posters are saying it'd be all right.

In my campaign, I'd rule similarly to what other posters have mentioned: 3 feat maximum through wishes, and the wisher must already fulfill the prereqs for the desired feat. Hence, no wishing for Blindsight 5' without first having Blind Fight and a Wisdom of 19+.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
dcollins said:
Absolutely not. It's certainly not one of the allowed effects under the wish description. Lending any kind of permanent, class-based ability would be completely unbalancing.
I'd say that Feats are not usually class-based abilities.

That said, I'd probably not allow it or else handle it like inherent bonuses to ability scores are handled. Also, prerequisites should still apply IMO.

Last edited:

Remove ads