• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Brainstorming an oddball character. (Again? Again.)

Voadam

Legend
Are you going WotC only or are OGL sources open?

Dover from Complete Minions and Oathbound Wildwood come to mind as a humanoid canine base.

1611075275981.png

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’m not the DM- there isn’t one.

Explanation: For a variety of reasons, I am continuously creating characters for various RPGs, even if I’m not currently in a game using the system. It helps me maintain or increase familiarity with those systems or settings. It helps me “stay engaged” with the hobby. It helps me remember character ideas I think are “cool” or “fun”.

Sometimes, I even work out the mechanics of a character in multiple systems and genres. The first was a character named “Slapstick”, a mercenary who wore “clown” makeup and wigs fo mess with the minds of those he fought. He was statted out in RIFTS, HERO, Torg, GURPS, 2Ed D&D, and at least one Mecha-centric RPG (the group was playing several of those, soooo...).

Tangentially, it also helps me round out characters for pieces of fiction I write- usually such designs are done in HERO.

So when I do one of these Brainstorm threads, it’s usually because I had an idea I thought was really cool, but for some reason, was struggling with either the actual mechanics of realizing the concept or I‘m trying to translate the character from one system to another (which may or may not be related).

And because of all that, I try not to venture too far into the woods of GM judgement calls when doing a design. Regardless of how outré the concept is, I try to stay within the RAW or consensus RAI of a given ruleset. I’d rather a GM reject a PC in its entire than over some difference in opinion on what is “legal” in a given campaign.

(And I rarely design NPCs that break rules that my players can’t.)

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To clarify, with this guy in particular, I have the IMAGE in mind. I have the one PERSONALITY in mind. I’m struggling with the MECHANICS.

By that, I mean I know he’s skilled in both the martial and mystic, but I can’t quite sort out the HOW precisely. It’s a bit of option paralysis. I know there’s a lot of stuff out there; many moving parts. And my PC concept is still...fuzzy.

Yeah, the templates & race will limit options on the tail end (ahem)- especially feats- but I’m still stuck in the starting gates.

Voadam

Legend
Werewolf hybrid form is core WotC for a wolf man so if you infected a large three-headed ogre you could get there part of the time with legit WotC only mechanics. Pretty surprising how far you have to look in 3.5 to find a humanoid dog person. Nothing in MM III-V.

Voadam

Legend
I think the closest I can recall seeing are the lupins, from Mystara, who got 3.5 PC stats in Dragon #325 (which were later reprinted in the Dragon Compendium vol. 1).
Good one! But does 2nd party Paizo count as WotC even if it is official 3.5?

This is a tough monster challenge.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Good one! But does 2nd party Paizo count as WotC even if it is official 3.5?

This is a tough monster challenge.
Well, during that era every issue of Dragon had the phrase "100% official content" appearing right on the cover (in the lower-right corner, over the D&D logo). But it was still 2nd-party content since it came from Paizo under license from WotC. Then again, it was a conversion of an unquestionably official D&D race from the BECMI version of the game.

Hmm...flip a coin on whether or not it's allowable, maybe? :unsure:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The werewolf hybrid wouldn’t work for me, but thanks for trying!

The lupin, though, seems viable. And if I’m going to consider it, I should probably reconsider the Hengeyokai.

One question about the Hengeyokai, of course, is how does their shapechanging ability interact with the multiheaded template?

Re: Dragon as official
I have always considered it thus, but I know acceptance of their stuff is spotty. I still use it when doing builds, but acknowledge the reality of possible rejection.

Last edited:

Remove ads