• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bonds and solo player game of Dungeon World

darkbard

Legend
The Bonds component of Dungeon World roots characters to each other in meaningful ways reflective of the fiction and provides a mechanical input to the game in the form of XP marked whenever one is resolved.

Though I reckon it's trivially easy to just remove Bonds in a game with a single player/PC, I wonder if anyone has implemented a variant way of including Bonds in such a game or has interesting ideas for how one might do so. Thanks!

PabloM

Adventurer
I can think of two options:
1) Replace the PCs with NPCs in your bonds.
2) Replace all DW bond mechanics with Ironsworn bond mechanics.

PabloM

Adventurer
Would you elaborate?
Of course.
Ironsworn has something called "Progress Track" that a PC fills up as it bonds with different people or communities on their adventures. When the PC retires, they must make a roll modified by the value of his Bonds Progress Track and according to the result, their retirement will be more or less glorious.
I really recommend that you read Ironsworn, especially if you want to play in Solo mode. It is a PbtA and medieval fantasy game, like DW, but it is much more refined.
Also it´s free.

darkbard

Legend
Of course.
Ironsworn has something called "Progress Track" that a PC fills up as it bonds with different people or communities on their adventures. When the PC retires, they must make a roll modified by the value of his Bonds Progress Track and according to the result, their retirement will be more or less glorious.
I really recommend that you read Ironsworn, especially if you want to play in Solo mode. It is a PbtA and medieval fantasy game, like DW, but it is much more refined.
Also it´s free.

Thanks! I've downloaded the game and have just begun browsing through it. It looks very interesting, particularly the different play modes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads