• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best campaign for 1-6? Looking for a prelude to Red Hand of Doom

mattcolville

Adventurer
Is there a good, dungeony, old school (look and feel, can be recent) adv étude that gets players from level one to six? I'm looking for something to act as a setup or prelude for Red Hand of Doom. Edition doesn't matter.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
B1 & B2 together should get you to 5th, but that may be too often done.

L1 & L2 are fun, though Assassin's Knot needs some redesign.

I agree with Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury.

Mid-level adventuring might include I1 or C1.

Wangalade

Explorer
not sure how well it sets up for red hand of doom, but b10 is a longer basic adventure, start at level 1, end between 5 and ten depending choices of the pcs.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Not sure how old school it is, but it was first published back in 2E days. The original version is called "Tragedy in the House of Brodeln" and the 3E version is called "Aldriv's Revenge"

It has a murder mystery, some dungeon crawls, some interesting monsters, some excellent NPCs and a good final villain. I was a player in the module back in 2E days and it kickstarted the greatest campaign I had ever been involved in as a player or DM. A huge group of PCs (8-10 of us) and a great DM. I loved it so much, that when I ran my own 3.5E campaign that ran from Fall of 2007 until Spring of 2009, I picked this same module to DM. I had some different twists and turns, of course, and the campaign went in another direction after Aldriv's Revenge, but that was a great campaign as well, and for a completely different group of people/players.

It would probably take you from level 1 to level 3 or 4, but there are some nice loose ends that the module leaves the PCs to tie up at their leisure that could easily get them to level 5/6 range.

Supposedly, Red Hand of Doom works best if the PCs are attached to the area where the hogboblins are going to attack & overwhelm. The town of Yelden could work very well in that regards. There is an elven forest nearby, plus it's not far to a nearby mountain range, etc, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Aldrivs-Revenge-Dungeons-Dragons-Adventure/dp/1889182567/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400627167&sr=8-1&keywords=aldriv%27s+revenge

Remove ads