• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

B/X Campaign Development

I'm in the process of developing a B/X campaign, maybe to PBEM at some point. I'm going for pure vanilla:

• High Medieval
• Low Magic
• Humanocentric

Most people are Normal Men ("0 Level;" "Normal Humans"), a relative few are Fighters. Thieves are rarer. Spellcasters are rarer still. There are no socially-adjusted demi-humans. Otherwise, I'm mostly adhering to RAW, logically extrapolating from the rules to generate the setting. I might introduce some subsystems in order to cover specific gaps in the B/X rules; if I do, I'll keep them simple.

For some economic guidelines I'm thinking of using A Magical Medieval Society, and for some flavor points I may look later to Pendragon and Birthright.

I guess I'm just sharing the process. Any feedback is appreciated.

Fighters

I'd like to begin by looking at the Fighter class, as this always seems a sensible starting point. I'm taking cues only from the Basic Set and Expert Set (including the modules) to place the Fighter in its social context: every occurrence of the Fighter I could find is accounted for. This is as much to gain an authentic baseline as anything; there is nothing revelatory in any of this. The rules naturally generate certain clichés.

Logical inferences to be later expanded upon and applied to the game world are in italics. The kingdom in which the main action will take place is mainly temperate in climate.

• Berserkers A formal faction of warriors exists, the members of which become deranged in battle. They gather in small, leaderless bands.
  • Brigands Groups of unchartered mercenaries – archers and cavalrymen – prowl the land, taking what they will.
  • Caravan Guards Caravans link towns across perilous countryside; they are well-armed to deter robbers. Danger and prestige are associated with this profession.
  • Dervishes Warlike communes, led by fanatical holy men, are scattered south and west of civilized lands.
  • Men-at-Arms Professional soldiers retained on a long-term basis by cities, the nobility, guilds and the king/state. They enforce the will of local magnates.
  • Merchants This hazardous profession demands competent fighting skills.
  • Mercenaries Who differ from men-at-arms in that they have no permanent employer, and from brigands in that they have not yet resorted to plunder.
  • Nobles' Retainers Men-at-arms with noble patronage.
  • Nomads Fierce raiders of the steppes. They threaten the kingdom's western borders.
  • Pirates and buccaneers They infest the shallow seas of the south, disrupting commerce.
  • Traders Traders band together for safety to ply their wares on the frontier.
  • Tribal Warriors In less civilized societies, every man is a warrior.
  • Veterans Soldiers may be met on the road responding to some call to arms, or returning from their duties. See Men-at-arms.

And perhaps
  • Adventurers Unscrupulous freebooters who'll do anything for a few gold coins

Maybe I've interpreted things rather too gloomily, but the brigandage really sticks and evokes the Anarchy of King Stephen's reign to me.

A king at war with his barons seems like a good place to start.

Looking at the responsibilities of higher level Fighters in the Basic and Expert sets:

2nd Level (Warrior)
  • The leader of a gang of 20 brigands
  • An esquire to a knight
  • A sergeant in a company of caravan guards
  • An acomplished veteran
  • The leader of a company of 25 nomads
  • A corporal or sergeant in a company of men-at-arms

3rd Level (Swordmaster)
  • A noble (knight)
  • A grizzled veteran
  • A lieutenant in a company of caravan guards
  • The bailiff of a large castle
  • The son of a tribal chief
  • A captain of the guard or watch

4th level (Hero)
  • A brigand chief, leading up to 40 men
  • A leader among a nomadic tribe with up to 40 men
  • A tribal war leader
  • The leader of a gang of 40 pirates or buccaneers

5th Level (Swashbuckler)
  • A pirate captain
  • A great tribal war leader
  • A caravan guard captain, leading as many as 80 men
  • The lieutenant to a brigand lord, commanding 50 men

6th Level (Myrmidon)
  • The castellan of a large borderlands fortress with a garrison of 200 men

7th Level (Champion)
  • A buccaneer captain
  • A tribal war chief

8th Level (Superhero)
  • A nomadic clan chief
  • A pirate fleet commander

9th Level (Lord)
  • A buccaneer fleet commander
  • A brigand lord, leading up to 300 men
  • An adventurer who hews a barony from the wilderness

11th Level (Lord)
  • A pirate lord

Last edited:

In similar vein.

Clerics

Acolytes Small groups of religious pilgrims and zealots wander the land. Some have established shrines. Sometimes, they are led by one who demonstrates supernatural powers.

1st Level (Acolyte)
  • Initiates of a sect dedicated to the powers of Chaos
  • Devotees who serve in the chapel of a borderlands fortress

2nd Level (Adept)
  • Magic-wielding initiates of a sect dedicated to the powers of Chaos

3rd Level (Priest)
  • A priest in an evil cult

5th Level (Curate)
  • The respected curate of a chapel in a borderlands fortress
  • A tribal witch-doctor

6th Level (Elder)
  • An ancient village shaman, blessed by the favor of his god

8th Level (Lama)
  • A high priest, counselor to a buccaneer or brigand lord.

9th Level (Patriarch)
  • The spiritual advisor to a nomadic chieftan
  • A mendicant priest who establishes a stronghold and attracts followers

10th Level (Patriarch)
  • A holy man who leads 300 fanatical warriors

Thieves

Bandits Gangs of outlaws ambush and rob the unwary

9th-Level (Master Thief)
  • One who has established a hideout and has attracted followers

Magic-Users

Mediums Those who practice magic.

3rd Level (Conjurer)
  • The teacher and leader of lesser mediums

8th Level (Necromancer)
  • The advisor to a nomadic chieftain

9th – 11th Level (Wizard)
  • A powerful spellcaster allied to a brigand or pirate lord

Baron Opal

First Post
One thing you might think about is the number of "adventuring parties" out there. How many people who are of significant level aren't tied to the society?

Are there societies or technologies that might provide a fertile ground for leveled people? Any library of Alexandria or Hagia Sophia that might increase the average numbers of leveled people?

Any societal penalties for playing non-humans? Is that even an option?

Baron Opal

First Post
How significant are you making the demi-humans? Are they going to be available as choices or are you going to reskin them as different ethnicities?

One thing you might think about is the number of "adventuring parties" out there. How many people who are of significant level aren't tied to the society?

This is an interesting demographic. Vanilla doctrine says: Low. In frontier areas higher, although still a minority.

Are there societies or technologies that might provide a fertile ground for leveled people? Any library of Alexandria or Hagia Sophia that might increase the average numbers of leveled people?

I'm not proceeding on the assumption that education = level, or necessarily that temporal power = level. I think that the notion of character level has an entirely different meaning (feeling?) in B/X, simply because mechanics of all kinds are less important.

Any societal penalties for playing non-humans? Is that even an option?

No (to the second question). Demi-humans are "monsters."

The vanilla monster palette might look something like this:

Mythical Races
• Goblins
• Hobgoblins
• Bugbears
• Ogres
• Trolls
• Dwarves
• Gnomes
• Giants
• Elves
• Pixies
• Sprites

Mythical Beasts
• Dragons
• Lycanthropes (were-wolves, -bears and –boars)
• Harpies
• Basilisks
• Chimerae
• Cockatrices
• Gargoyles
• Griffons
• Giant hawks
• Hellhounds
• Hippogriffs
• Manticores
• Salamanders
• Unicorns
• Wyverns

Atavisms and Never-Weres
• Cave bears
• Sabretooths
• Neanderthals
• Stirges
• Dire wolves
• Mastodons
• Wooly rhinos

Animals
• Black bears
• Bats
• Boars
• Mountain lions
• Mules
• Rats
• Wolves
• Herd animals
• Hawks
• Horses

Undead
• Ghouls
• Shadows
• Wights
• Skeletons
• Zombies
• Spectres
• Vampires
• Wraiths

Conjured
• Elementals
• Invisible stalkers

Aquatic
• Mermen
• Nixies
• Whales
• Giant Octopus
• Giant Squid
• Sea dragons
• Sea hydrae

I'd use very simple elements to build with. But primarily human elements. (Oxymoron)

Last edited:

Baron Opal

First Post
I'm not proceeding on the assumption that education = level, or necessarily that temporal power = level. I think that the notion of character level has an entirely different meaning (feeling?) in B/X, simply because mechanics of all kinds are less important.

Not quite what I meant. Are leveled people a consequence of opportunity (you have been squired to a knight, you were accepted into the clergy) or inherent talent?

When Bruno picks up his threshing flail in disgust and convinces Abelard the scribe and Connor the villiage sneak that it is "high time we do something about this", is it that initiative that makes them leveled or is there something more required? Or, is this even a relevant question?

(These are the things I think about. Probably too much.)

How historical are you going to be? I think I remember you had a Saxon game for awhile. Is your theology going to be completely B/X vanillia with the three temples or are you going to tinker?

Shieldhaven

Explorer
I'll be following this thread with interest. In the unlikely chance that you're looking for more people for the PBEM, I'm way more awesome than all those other people. (Ahem.)

Haven

Equipment - Armor

One of the reasons I like earlier editions of D&D is the combination of both weight and bulk in notions of encumbrance, although the execution is a bit sketchy sometimes. I'm dropping the 'cn' or 'gp' measure of encumbrance: Enc is just Enc.

Actual coins are assumed to weigh around 1/100 of a pound each, which is 1/10 of their RAW weight, but a bit less silly.

Note the 'tech' of the campaign does not quite support actual plate mail: pseudohistorically, it's no later than 1250.

Leather/Light
Includes cuirboilli, skins, hides, furs; maybe studded jacks and ringmail corselets.
AC 7; Cost = 10gp; Enc 150; Base Movement 3

Mail/Medium
Includes hauberks, haubergeons or byrnies with leather support, and other partial mails. Might include a light conical helm.
AC 5; cost = 40gp; Enc 300; Base Movement 2

Mail/Heavy
Full mail suit with hauberk, chausses, coif, mitons, pixane, armored boots and pot helm.
AC 3; Cost 100gp; Enc 500; Base Movement 1

Shield
Either a large, metal-rimmed round wooden shield or a knightly heater.
AC-1; Cost 10gp; Enc 100

Equipment - Axes and Swords

Most weapons do 1d6 damage; those which inflict more should be considered especially dangerous.

Swords
Swords are expensive: typically, only knights or seasoned professionals carry them. Viking swords and cruciform-hilt arming swords are corollaries; around 3 ft. long and weighing 2lbs or so.
Dmg 1d8; Cost 20gp; Enc 60

Two-Handed Swords
Unusually, individual warriors (e.g. Ash the Tall) may simply carry big swords. There is no bastard sword, zweihander, estoc, half-sword technique or other Renaissance development. They are simply big swords. Maybe around 4 1/2 feet long and weighing 3-4lbs. Such weapons would be rare and expensive.
Dmg 1d10; Cost 40gp; Enc 100

Shortswords
Shortswords are still swords, and are still expensive. More accessible to common soldiers, or as a secondary weapon for professional archers. Unlike longer swords, they do not necessarily carry connotations of nobility.
Dmg 1d6; Cost 12gp; Enc 30

Battle-Axes
Categorically two-handed weapons. Assume a haft 4 feet or more in length; the largest Viking axes, or axes such as those borne by the huscarls at Hastings.
Dmg 1d8; Cost 7gp; Enc 100

Axes
Smaller axes, including francisca-type throwing axes, one-handed melee axes, and knightly axes with more penetration.
Dmg 1d6; Cost 4gp; Enc 30; Range 10/20/30

Equipment - Spears and Pole Arms

Spears
Borne by warriors in backwards provinces, barbarians and peasant militias. A heavy one-handed spear for hurling or thrusting, around 6 ft. long and weighing 3-5lbs. Approximates to the pilum or angon.
Dmg 1d6; Cost 3gp; Enc 60; Range 20/40/60

Javelins
Darts and lighter spears with longer range; preferred by mounted irregulars and skirmishers.
Dmg 1d4; Cost 1gp; Enc 20; Range 30/60/90

Lances
Charging lances deal more damage than any other weapon.
Dmg 1d6 (x2 on charge); Cost 5gp; Enc 100

Pole Arms
Carried most often by heavy infantry, guards, watchmen and better-equipped militias. A variety of chopping and thrusting weapons, including boar spears, spetums, bills and glaives; note that later, more complex types (halberds, voulge-guisarmes etc.) are not available. Typically 6 to 8 feet long. Characters with pole arms always lose Initiative.
Dmg 1d10; Cost 7gp; Enc 150

Equipment - Other Weapons

Maces
Maces are relatively cheap and easy to make, and useful against armored knights. Peasant militias are sometimes equipped with them; mercenaries also favor them. Aristocrats may attach a certain stigma to them, but they are not above using them.
Dmg 1d6; Cost 5gp; Enc 50

Daggers
Ubiquitous.
Dmg 1d4; Cost 2gp; Enc 10; Range 10/20/30

Longbows
Yeoman's or freeman's weapon. 6-foot ash or yew bow with yard-long arrows. Professional longbowmen command good wages, as their skill is much sought after.
Dmg 1d6; Cost 20gp; Enc 30; Range 70/140/210. [20 arrows; Cost 2gp; Enc 40]

Crossbows
Assumed to be a lever-operated weapon (rather than an arbalest with a winch). Common footsoldier's weapon. Shoots every other round.
Dmg 1d6; Cost 20gp; Enc 100; Range 80/160/240 [30 bolts; Cost 5gp; Enc 30]

Shortbows
Also includes various horn and laminate composite bows which can be shot from horseback. Favored by hunters and nomads.
Dmg 1d6; Cost 10gp; Enc 20; Range 50/100/150. [20 arrows; Cost 2gp; Enc 20]

Slings, Staves and Clubs
Peasant militia. Ignoble weapons.

Last edited:

Witty Comeback

First Post
Maces
Maces are relatively cheap and easy to make, and useful against armored knights. Peasant militias are sometimes equipped with them; mercenaries also favor them. Aristocrats may attach a certain stigma to them, but they are not above using them.
Dmg 1d6; Cost 5gp; Enc 50

Aren't maces traditionally symbols of kingship and authority? Or perhaps is that further along in the psuedo-timeline?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads