• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Assassination 2: The Lost Children

FourMonos

First Post
The end of the battle is inevitable. The heroes swarm the demonic gnoll and his giant companion. The Warden slashed and attacked as if possessed by a ferocious demon. (It probably was...) Under curses of death from Yeenoghu's own fist, the Warden dies from Alexia's magical attacks, Rohna's glaive, the dark eldritch magic from Bellagon's wicked rod and Czern's relentless pounding with his hammer. The gnoll is essentially dismembered before it stops moving.

The giant's will breaks after the Warden falls, and he tries to make a break for it. Chael's rocks pelt the giant from behind, but they barely seem to slow it. Then Malehan's scimitar cut clean through its Achilles tendon as it fled, crippling the giant. Ted the giant's head smashed hard into the ground with the fall. Although it is initially uncertain if the giant survived the fall, Malehan finishes all question with swift chop through the vital aspects of the giants throat, appeasing his god's vengeance.

A quick review of the wooden fort would indicate that it is a new structure, but at least a month old. The gnolls and minotaurs lived in huts and squalor along the inside of the forts walls. Ted, evidently, slept and made camp behind the fort in the first part of the forest. It would seem, based on tracks, that besides the minotaurs and gnolls, there were several goblins present here in the palisade. None are present currently and you suspect they made for the forest at the first sign of the struggle. The question would be, were the goblins conspirators or prisoners?

There is no doubt that whatever forces were recently in play in Sharn used this as a forward outpost. Slaying the outpost's guardians will certainly affect there further operations.

Having now cleared the outpost, what would the heroes like to do?

[sblock=Comment for FourMonos] [MENTION=88601]FourMonos[/MENTION], thanks for speeding this up, althout I must admit I was looking forward to being hit by one of them and expending 9d6 aura :) Or rolling intimidate to make them surrender.
[/sblock]

"I'm going to look for a slave or two, maybe they know something useful. Priest can you patch me up first so I can go?" says the dark elf after looking around the fort and behind it in the forest.

"I've heard of surface drow in the jungles under the Hellgate, they're supposed to be quite good in the forests. As is, I'll be their replacement in the darkness."

OOC: If neurotics stats are correct he still has one healing word, Bellegon could go immediately, without short rest. For the next five minutes or so he would still have the aura active, and couple of his encounter powers are not expended. Also, someone with trained both perception and stealth could come along so we actually can find something :p

And "the luck" continues
Stealth (1d20+16=17) - nat 1 on stealth, I guess that aura shines in the darkness :p

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Let's clean this up a bit, right after I clean your wounds. We should check out if the statue is here or is already on the way.
Maybe we should try to catch a goblin to interrogate. Unfortunate how giant died from the fall."

EDIT:
"If you're sure, Bellegon, here it is. Go with the blessings of Dol'Arrah."
Healing word (1d6+7=10)
OOC: [MENTION=87106]MetaVoid[/MENTION], Bellegon gets 5thp if he doesn't take short rest

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
"We should continue heading towards Droaam. Those goblins are a waste of time and distract us from our main purpose. If possible, we need to catch up to those other guys on this side of the river before they cross." Chael says.

OOC: It's been something like 9 months of real time and I am lost as to what is going on. If we have already crossed the river, then that portion of Chael's statement can be ignored.

Last edited:

Neurotic

"Goblins might now something. If some of the party can travel fast around the forest..." Venakhad looks at Chael and Rhona
"...and some move stealthily through, while the rest beat around the bushes, we should be able to catch at least some of them fairly quickly.

I realize these are stupid creatures, but on the other hand people tend to ignore them when discussing things and they hear things."

KarinsDad

Adventurer
"So, let me see if I understand. You think that we can catch some goblins, even though they have a head start, that any that we might catch will definitely know something worthwhile as opposed to just being slaves that were nowhere near vital information, that they won't lie if we do get them to talk, and that if they do lie, that we will be able to catch them in their lies and/or force them to tell the truth that they may or may not know. Also, you want to split the party up in an area that the majority of people here are unfamiliar with, and hope that nobody gets in trouble, and also hope that we will be able to find each other if anyone gets lost. And you are basing this plan off the assumption that people tend to ignore stupid creatures when talking about important things.

You consider this to be a reasonable course of action?"

OOC: If there is a goblin just hanging out within sight or a way a given PC can catch one fast, I'm all for questioning it for a few minutes. But traipsing in and around the forest and splitting up the group? That sounds like a bad idea.

Neurotic

[sblock=Theoretical for all]
We have high insight, high intimidation in the party. Getting the truth out shouldn't be a problem. Catching...goblins are stupid and happy to remain hidden, they will remain in the forest (hopefully) - splitting the party in the small forest is not such big risk as we just dealt with the most dangerous creatures around (probably). It's not without risks, but we loose very little time as it's already dark and we will sleep over in or near the palisades. Therefore if there are night-vision trackers or if the goblins left enough traces so that one not trained in perception can track them we shouldn't really have trouble.

Even assuming the goblins remained together and are already organized enough to be a threat, we don't want to fight them, only information (diplomacy) - which again we have party members for. Now, does Chael / [MENTION=2011]KarinsDad[/MENTION] have trained perception? If yes, why aren't you pointing the directions to those crazy enough to go in the darkness alone.

I realize this might be skill challenge for a month of real time without any real benefit (if the goblins don't know anything), but I assume there will be some reward for the effort. Also, we might describe the actions in general and roll say three times skills you might consider using (ideally two or three different skills) and then leave FourMonos to untangle everything to something coherent :)
[/sblock]

"Head start is only minutes. It'll be dark soon and they will not expect the pursuit immediately. We can get the information out of them as I don't have any intention of fighting or killing them if not necessary. Promise them they can go and they'll tell us whatever we want to hear. And no, they cannot lie to me, I read minds remember?

As for splitting, you and Rhona should be able to handle whatever forces remain in this forest, I believe we destroyed most dangerous creatures around. Same for other groups. Only ones in real danger to attract some attentions are those that will be raising ruckus in the first place and they will be covered by those going in front stealthily. Reasonable or not, we might have a chance to catch some now. Not so in half an hour or more. And if they don't know anything we didn't loose anything by trying"

KarinsDad

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]Sorry Neurotic, but I tend to find skill challenges to be overkill and/or boring unless they are unique or interesting. Spending the next month of real time grilling goblins? zzzzzzzzz Send me a notification when it's all over. Because of slow post rates, this adventure has already dragged out. I really don't want to continue to do that. Even if this skill challenge would give us good info (which I seriously doubt), I'd still rather cut to the chase. Let a player who is interested in this make a single skill roll, get the info, and let's get to a more fun part of the adventure like talking to the contact that we are suppose to meet.

In fact, 4M can roll the dice and tell us what happens. It's not as if we are going to get real quality RPing out of goblins (making a goblin theatrical does not necessarily make for good RPing).

Or better yet, Metavoid had Bellegon roll a natural 1 on his stealth (the player assuming that the DM wanted a stealth roll), maybe the Goblins heard or saw him coming and they all ran away. Why waste such a classic roll? :lol: It seems fitting that a natural 1 gives him nada. ;)

I personally would rather find out if there is anything on the two large wagons that led us here (other than Ogres).
[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads