• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Are you going to buy the new 2024 D&D Core Books

Do you plan on getting the new D&D core books in 2024?

• Poll closed .

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
How do you know this? There is no slipcaese announced.
I'm 90% confident a slipcase edition of the core texts for Christmas 2025 will happen.
They admitted having trouble getting enough books printed from the presses fast enough, exacerbating that with slip cases right out of the gate is probably not a great idea.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
great gift set from grandparents
beautiful covers (look at the design of the white-covered XGTE, MOTM and Tasha's )
chance to make completists re-buy something
chance to incorporate the first round of errata (yuk yuk)
works as a bookend
Ah. None of that really appeals to me (well, maybe the bookend), but to each their own.

Dire Bare

Legend
There is no slipcase planned
Yet. It will happen, if not in 2024.
What's the draw of the slipcase?

great gift set from grandparents
beautiful covers (look at the design of the white-covered XGTE, MOTM and Tasha's )
chance to make completists re-buy something
chance to incorporate the first round of errata (yuk yuk)
works as a bookend
All of that, plus the practical benefit of keeping dust off your books, and to help keep them organized together as a set.

And they just look nice, it's a nifty visual upgrade to your books . . . if you're into that sort of thing. Which obviously, many are, as WotC goes through the expense of producing them.

sunrisekid

Explorer
And they just look nice, it's a nifty visual upgrade to your books . . . if you're into that sort of thing. Which obviously, many are, as WotC goes through the expense of producing them.
I totally agree. I absolutely love my 5E collector books, though only have a couple of them. Wish I jumped in when my LFGS had them in stock but even so the collector books scratche a massive nostalgia itch for me. I can't explain it better than that.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am not enough interested to switch edition, as I already have several to choose from, but most importantly I know how to use each editions as a toolbox and get infinite variations out of it.

In addition, what distinguishes the 2024 version as it seems to be shaping up from the 2014 version, are a few gaming principles that strongly contrast with my motivations to even play a RPG... like this idea of easily changing character abilities on a long rest. I don't even like that Clerics/Druids know all their spells list (always wished for fixed number of known spells, or spells list restricted/based on domains and terrains) so that a Cleric can totally switch identity on a night's sleep... I am never going to be able to have fun with characters at my table doing the same daily swap of weapon masteries or fighting styles.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
As I've been shouting all over the forums, I'm all-in on Shadowdark. That said, I may find myself under pressure to also play D&D, and if that happens I will probably buy the books. I do like some of the changes I've seen so far, I'm disappointed that others aren't going to make the cut (e.g. Druid shapechange "templates"), and I really loathe weapon masteries.

Alas.

Remove ads