• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Anyone have numbers for 1/2e monsters?

Cleon

Legend
I believe you can work this out using filters in Echohawk's Complete D&D Monster Index. In fact, Echohawk probably knows already; I think he has done number breakdowns like this.

Echohawk's Index has 3187 AD&D entries and 7902 AD&D2 entries.

However, his database lists monsters by source so the actual number will be lower (.e. the MC3 Brontosaurus and the Monstrous Manual Brontosaurus count as two entries even though they are the same beast).

Still, it's enough to give you an idea.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Anyone else read "1/2e" as "Half-edition", and think they missed a possible source for conversions? :p

No? Just me? :.-(

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
DMH, those are interesting questions. I'm not sure I've ever worked out how many unique AD&D or AD&D2 creatures were published.

For AD&D, after eliminating the duplicates, I count a total of 1987 unique creatures from all official sources. That includes 181 unique creatures such as demon lords or archdevils, so just 1806 if you're looking for generic critters.

For AD&D2, I'll need to spend some more time eliminating the duplicates to get a total -- 2nd Edition tended to repeat creature a lot more than 1st Edition.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
An hour and a half of counting later, and I make the total for AD&D 2nd Edition 4316, of which 282 are unique creatures, so 4034 generic 2e creatures.

Cleon

Legend
For AD&D, after eliminating the duplicates, I count a total of 1987 unique creatures from all official sources. That includes 181 unique creatures such as demon lords or archdevils, so just 1806 if you're looking for generic critters.

An hour and a half of counting later, and I make the total for AD&D 2nd Edition 4316, of which 282 are unique creatures, so 4034 generic 2e creatures.

Thanks Echohawk, that's very interesting.

So there are 1200 duplicate in 1E and 3586 duplicates in 2E then?

Considering all the repeat customers in the Monstrous Compendiums and other sources it's hardly surprising 2nd Edition had more duplicate monsters.

Well, that explains why I suddenly feel very tired. :p

No slacking! You can rest when you've finished converting them all.:devil:
:lol:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Speaking of finishing them all, what's the latest on how many we have to go? I'm going to miss this when we're done! :D

Remove ads