• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR Any Demand For a Simplified/OSR 5E?

Zardnaar

Legend
For those who've played 3E, perhaps, but it is still more fiddly than attributes as saves.

5E has more adding, mine is on the class desription and all you have to do is add your ability scores a'la 5E except you only have to do it 3 times.

If you can see my fighter photo I use 5E proficiency bonus system. Most classes have a good, average bad, save (+3/+1/+0) and the proficiency modifier is added. Its the exact same system as 5E except you only add 3 numbers instead of 6 and its fort/ref/will instead of con/dex/wis+ 3 others. The save numbers are on the class description.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
5E has more adding, mine is on the class desription and all you have to do is add your ability scores a'la 5E except you only have to do it 3 times.

If you can see my fighter photo I use 5E proficiency bonus system. Most classes have a good, average bad, save (+3/+1/+0) and the proficiency modifier is added. Its the exact same system as 5E except you only add 3 numbers instead of 6 and its fort/ref/will instead of con/dex/wis+ 3 others. The save numbers are on the class description.

So there are nine numbers instead of six: fiddly.

A better approach may be to remove the six, and have just those three attributes.

Zardnaar

Legend
So there are nine numbers instead of six: fiddly.

A better approach may be to remove the six, and have just those three attributes.

There is 3 numbers+ the ability scores.

All you have to do is add your ability scores tot he 3 numbers form the class descriptions. Its no different than 5E where you add your proficiency bonus to 2/6 saves and then add your ability modifiers on top of that. My system you are proficient in 3 savers in effect add your stats, that is 3 less number to keep track of over 5E.

You also only have to remember 3 modifiers over 6 as well once you can add your class save+ ability modifier.

I have seen D&D use a single save number before, I was tempted to use that. I did it this way as I wanted scalig saves as 5E doesn't work to well at higher levels where you have 95% failure rates on bad saves.

Ashkelon

First Post
For those who've played 3E, perhaps, but it is still more fiddly than attributes as saves.

You would totally be right, if attribute checks and saves were the same. But they are not.

Right now you have 6 attribute checks and 6 saves. But then they diverge. Sometimes you get to add your proficiency bonus to an attribute check. Sometimes you get Expertise with an attribute check. Sometimes you get advantage with an attribute check. Sometimes you get a miscellaneous bonus to an attribute check. Then you have all of that for saving throws as well.

It's quite possible to have your attribute check number and your saving throw number be two radically different numbers. So no, saving throws in 5e are not less complicated than 3e style F/R/W. And both the 5e style F/R/W and the 5e saves are more complicated than a streamlined defense system where the attacker always rolls.

Do it for yourself. IMO, there are already a dozen solid D&D clones that have been published.

I don't have a need for another. I doubt you will find a lot desire for another, but maybe I'm wrong.

flametitan

Explorer
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, (as my OSR experience is mostly limited to retroclones, rather than OSR games that tried to add anything new) but Aren't saves in OSR game disassociated from stats to begin with?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads