• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An odd issue with ignore

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Recently and quite by accident I found out that someone has me on ignore and the way I found out seems to me to work against the spirit of how I think the ignore function should work.
What I believe should happen, is that, people that have a person on ignore disappear from that persons feed. One does not receive any indication that one is ignored.
So what happened was I was browsing on the Community page as is my wont and I spotted that a thread I was watching had a new post. I clicked on the thread and was taken to a blank page with no posts.
I though that, that was odd and reloaded the page. No posts. I backed out and the tread said n pages last post So&So
So I went to page n-1 and looked at the posts no So&So, I clicked on the next page and blank page. It then occurred to me that some one might have me on ignore and I logged out and went back the thread looked at page n and sure enough there was a post from So&So

This strikes me as contrary to the intent of the ignore system, I should have been sent to the last post I should have been allowed to see (the one on page n-1) and I would have never noticed.
I do not know if this is a bug or an oversight but I though it was worth mentioning and letting the site administration know. I hope this is the correct place to do it.

aco175

Legend
I just learned about that 'trick' myself a week ago or so. I was looking at post count numbers to see if I am missing on some of the conversation since a few times I see something quoted but do not recall reading it on previous pages. I think some may be quoted from another thread that the current one diverges from but now I find myself checking the thread count to see who may have me blocked.

I would like to think I do not care if someone has me blocked, but it does imply that I do if I am curious as to who may block me. I do not have anyone blocked myself, and find that blocking others ideas only blocks your learning. I can see that some people are hard to listen to on the 4th attempt though.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Its an option when you block someone, but most people take it. It can sometimes be confusing.
I believe it was the default setting when it was implemented. So people may not have even interacted with the settings at all - just blocked someone.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I believe it was the default setting when it was implemented. So people may not have even interacted with the settings at all - just blocked someone.

Entirely possible. Actually, it may still default to it; I don't recall noticing on either of the two people I have blocked.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I just had this happen. An old thread that made no sense...where are the posts? Then I figured it out.

But yes, reciprocal blocking can reveal you are being ignored.

And in this case from a long time ago, and just sort of sad. Actually, are there a bunch of other old timers ignoring me?

Do you see any posts from "Hong"?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I just had this happen. An old thread that made no sense...where are the posts? Then I figured it out.

But yes, reciprocal blocking can reveal you are being ignored.

And in this case from a long time ago, and just sort of sad. Actually, are there a bunch of other old timers ignoring me?

Do you see any posts from "Hong"?
No I do not recall seeing recent posts from Hong

Remove ads