• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AI is stealing writers’ words and jobs…

MarkB

Legend
It's the publisher in this case. The AI itself is irrelevant, the writer should belong to a union so she can go to them and say hey look, they are not paying me.
The specific case isn't the point, even if the writer has an out in this instance many others will not. And when AI is easily available for purchase, saying "it's who controls it that's important" is utterly behind the times. We all control it - it's available for anyone to use, at affordable prices.

Dausuul

Legend
They aren't looking to create masterpieces. They are looking to produce work that will sell at a high profit margin. So, that criticism will have them crying all the way to the bank.
The current ruling on AI-generated works is that they are non-copyrightable.

Whether that holds up on appeal, we'll have to see -- and of course there will be a question about how much AI involvement is too much -- but I hope it does hold up.

Andvari

Hero
As someone who uses AI a lot when writing stuff for games I run, I'm fairly certain I have never been able to simply copy-paste even a single sentence it has produced and be satisfied with that. I generally use it for brainstorming things like area descriptions, and fine it useful to that end, as it will often come up with ideas I haven't thought of. But I always end up putting those elements into my own words.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The current ruling on AI-generated works is that they are non-copyrightable.

Yes, and?

Copyright exists, at least in theory, to protect the rights of a creator, largely because that creation takes labor and time. If you're using an AI, you are using very little labor and time, and so won't care a whole lot about whether the resulting piece is protected by copyright.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
The specific case isn't the point, even if the writer has an out in this instance many others will not. And when AI is easily available for purchase, saying "it's who controls it that's important" is utterly behind the times. We all control it - it's available for anyone to use, at affordable prices.
As a publisher I don't use AI, and as I have seen, it lessens ones sales in the RPG market. The specific case is an example of what is to come, and organizing, strength in numbers is as old as when we were just hominids in Africa.

Scribe

Legend
AI means the Healthcare system might become more affordable, divorces might not end in poverty from legal fees and so on.

This is awesome news, because the working class benefits, I love these new AIs for once the rest of us stand to massive benefit.

Better, more accessible, more affordable Healthcare, legal aid, accounting, etc..., awesome.

ROFL what?!

While it’s unclear if NYT is open to a licensing agreement after its earlier negotiations failed, leading to the lawsuit, OpenAI has reached a few deals recently. This month, it agreed to pay publisher Axel Springer for access to its content in a deal projected to be worth millions. And articles from Politico and Business Insider will be made available to train OpenAI’s next gen AI tools as part of a three year deal. It also previously made a deal with the AP to use its archival content dating back to 1985. Microsoft and OpenAI did not respond to a request for comment.

Remove ads