• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D Advice for Mappers in OD&D

JA_Reave

First Post
Heya,

I'm going to be playing in an OD&D campaign for the first time this Friday. I've been assigned as the mapper for the night. I think we're using the Keep on the Borderlands module. What is some good advice for drawing dungeon maps as a player?

Like, how detailed should I make it?

What's a good system for labeling rooms?

How much should I ask for feedback from my fellow players on how I'm doing?

What are some pitfalls I should avoid?

Thanks a million! :)

-JAR

jcbdragon

First Post
Heya,
What is some good advice for drawing dungeon maps as a player?

Like, how detailed should I make it?

What's a good system for labeling rooms?

How much should I ask for feedback from my fellow players on how I'm doing?

What are some pitfalls I should avoid?
-JAR

If your DM will be nice enough to tell you, ask him what portion of the graph paper you should start your map on.

Make your level of detail low enough that you don't slow down the game, but as high as you can within that limitation.

As for labeling rooms... some rooms have descriptions that make labels obvious -- a room with a throne in it could intuitively be called the throne room, etc. If there aren't any unique features, then maybe label according to what creatures you encounter there, etc.

Pitfalls: be prepared to need more than one sheet of paper, and be sure to get your directions correct!

Remove ads