• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventurer's Vault... I'm surprised!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've just opened up my shiny new Adventurer's Vault.

There are only two chapters!

Chapter 1 (Equipment) is 27 pages.
Chapter 2 (Magic Items) is 163 pages.

It's listing on one side. :)

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Hmm, just checking out Appendix 1 (4-1/2 pages)

The first part discusses Unique Items; that is, items with a bit more interest than normal. History, Personality and Character, PC Influence, and Alignment are the subheadings.

The second part of the appendix discusses Item Level, and includes a number of options to create items that scale with the party.

The third part is Enchanting Items, which talks about upgrading an item to a better type, and also a new ritual: Transfer Enchantment, which allows you to move the enchantment of one item to another. The best use of this would be to strip the enchantment off a nice bit of gear no-one can use (+3 leather) and put it on a bit of gear they can (platemail). Component cost is only 25 gp, and this is soon going to be an incredibly popular ritual in my campaigns, as it removes the need for me to give exactly the right gear out.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Woohoo! Elixir of Invisibility! Lasts 5 minutes or until you make an attack.

That's interesting: counts as a use of a magic daily power, as do a few of the consumables. (Elixirs, Whetstones and "Other").

Ooh... Reagents! Only a small list, all the way from a Sting song ("Desert Rose") which aids you in sustaining a power, to Fundamental Ice (sounds like a "Best Of" series), which causes immobilizes one of the poor dears you've just hit with an ice attack.

Rings from levels 14 to 30. Ring of Spell-Storing is back. It doesn't store as much (only one power), and you have to be high enough level to cast the spell in the first place. Other restrictions. More balanced, not quite as cool.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Jeremy757

First Post
I just recieved mine yesterday and just started reading it today. I really dig the equipment chapter. Mounts, vehicles, and alchemy were much needed. Too bad it wasn't a bigger chapter.

Armor of Sacrifice, Moradin's Weapon and the two pact weapons are all pretty cool.

sukael

First Post
Rings from levels 14 to 30. Ring of Spell-Storing is back. It doesn't store as much (only one power), and you have to be high enough level to cast the spell in the first place. Other restrictions. More balanced, not quite as cool.

Still works to give the fighter a backup wizard spell, though.

fba827

Adventurer
Still works to give the fighter a backup wizard spell, though.

There is also a weapon version to do the opposite: store an exploit (martial power) so that a wizard or other can use it.

So what items just look really neat to you guys? (no, this isn't "which ones are broken or poorly executed"-- there is another thread for that)

For pure thematics alone, I am liking the phoenix cloak and ring of the phoenix.. not saying together, just individually. Of course, my group is far off from ever seeing it in play.

That's interesting: count's as a use of a magic daily power, as do a few of the consumables. (Elixirs, Whetstones and "Other").

I think you'll find in 4e it's a lot harder to get "free" power boosts, even with items. This is one way to make sure people don't hoard all their 1-shots to blow in a "big" encounter, making it easier for DMs to judge power level of a party with lots of 1-shots.

It also allows characters with few items with daily powers to reap the rewards of hitting milestones, which I see as a good thing.

Personally, I am really pleased to have worked on this book, I think it turned out great. And, it's always fun to see just what -everyone else- wrote for it, which generally doesn't happen until I get my contributor copies.

greyscale1

First Post
I too am really interested in the content of this book. Really solid stuff packed in really tight and good illustrations as well. The equipment section had a clear win, though that was only because it had the most unique content in it.
As for one of my favorites off the top of my head (though there were a lot that made me wow) was thematically the Ioun Snake thing. A little metal golden snake sliding and coiling in a ring around your head with tiny tiny glowing gem eyes and a a tiny flake of ruby tongue, each true to life feature replicated in artifice entirely from valuable stones.

As for effects, they were all pretty cool but generic. I liked the pact weapons alot, though I havent finished reading it

Jeremy757

First Post
So what items just look really neat to you guys?

Throwing Shield looks awesome.

Earthroot staff seems pretty cool especially since there are a number of wizard spells that would benefit from it.

robe of Bloodwalking, Rod of the Feywild, Dimensional Stride Boots will make for a very spastic epic level eladrin fey pact warlock.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
So what items just look really neat to you guys? (no, this isn't "which ones are broken or poorly executed"-- there is another thread for that)

As the person who begant the other thread, I now feel compelled to post here.

I like the Alchemy stuff, although it is unfortunate they couldn't find room for more.

I think the expanded masterwork armour table is excellent, creating a much smoother progression and also allowing some minor differentiation between otherswise identical armours.

None of the specific magic items have really jumped out at me as especially cool -- but, despite starting the "complaints" thread, the vast bulk of the book seems to be pretty solid.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads