• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure]Curious & Curiouser (Judge: Stonegod)

FourMonos

First Post
OOC: [MENTION=6672544]jsb420[/MENTION] I hope I'm reading that correctly, but Braddock has +2 to defenses against the chuul because he cursed it. I think it only rolled a 19, so missed, correct?

Braddock takes stock of the rapidly changing environment.

"Ah, shut it," he says to no one in particular.

Braddock marches briskly over to the table to investigate its contents more closely.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Rikka gave an annoyed snort as her prey was stolen from her. "Definitely the fey at work. This is going to get really old, really soon." As soon as they returned to the initial room, she continued to pace around, trying to determine if anything had changed...

OOC: Perception 1d20+20= 33; roll Roll Lookup

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Ooookey...." Muzdum says. "Everybody ready. We might as well reappear in front of the buggers." The dwarf grins. "I'm actually eager for it."

jsb420

First Post
Round 4 (Entry Room)
[sblock=Previous Rounds]Round A
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
[/sblock]
Quan scratches at his head and looks around. What happened? Did we go somewhere else or is this an illusion? (Perception Check – 31)

Braddock takes stock of the rapidly changing environment. “Ah, shut it," he says to no one in particular. Braddock marches briskly over to the table to investigate its contents more closely.
GM: [MENTION=88601]FourMonos[/MENTION]: Yes you are correct, I forgot to add the defense bonus, so +10hp.

Rikka gave an annoyed snort as her prey was stolen from her. "Definitely the fey at work. This is going to get really old, really soon." As soon as they returned to the initial room, she continued to pace around, trying to determine if anything had changed...(Perception Check – 33)

"Ooookey...." Muzdum says. "Everybody ready. We might as well reappear in front of the buggers." The dwarf grins. "I'm actually eager for it."

The wary heroes scan their surroundings expecting an attack. Both elves notice it first – of course – but soon everyone begins to notice that the frame around the doorway in the southern wall start to undulate. Warping weirdly, distorting, expanding and contracting like a bubble trapped below the surface of water. With a final bulge, the door rebounds upon itself and finally settles back to its original shape, except that there is now a glow emanating from underneath, almost like sunshine.
[sblock=Arcana Check DC21 (trained only)]Obviously, this entire area emanates strong magiks. From the short time within this pocket plane, and from experiencing the shift to the pool filled cavern, you can discern that another pocket plane has joined with the area you are currently in, like two bubbles joining together.[/sblock]
[sblock=Map]Map #1 Entry Room:

Illumination: soft white magical light
Ceiling: 30-feet
Pillars: Blocking terrain
Table and Chair: blocking terrain; can provide partial cover if crouched behind
Tiny door (west): unknown metal, locked
Medium door (North and South): wooden, locked[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] Large double door (East): stone, locked[/sblock]
[sblock=Stats] Braddock (F5): 47/57 hp; HS 11/11; AP 1+1; Dwarven Resilience; Status:
Quan (K2): 33 /42 hp; HS 7/7; AP 1+1; Second Wind; Elven Accuracy; Status:
Orsik (N3): 53/53 hp; HS 10/10; AP 1; Second Wind; Stone’s Endurance; Rune of Mending [1], [2]; Status:
Muzdum (F9): 49/62; HS 12/12; AP 1; Dwarven Resilience; Status:
Rikka (J8): 60/60 hp; HS 8/8; AP 1; Second Wind; Elven Accuracy; Status:[/sblock]
GM: Summary:
Braddock: +10hp (retro)
Quan: -
Orsik: -
Rikka: -
Muzdum: -

jsb420

First Post
Quan approaches the door - careful not to disturb it. Thoroughly checking for any traps, either arcane or mechanical, he doesn't seem to spot any obvious hazards. He also doesn't seem to see any type of locking mechanism. He must assume that the door - which was previously locked - is no longer barred.

Braddock attunes himself with the magical weave, searching for anything that could give him and his allies any advantage over their surroundings, but he's nearly blinded with all the magic glowing in his vision. Doors, walls, ceiling and floor all radiate with powerful magical intensity. He is able to determine that origin is fey.
GM: Let me know what you decide to do:
A: inspect table (i.e. tasting drink or food, or smoking from hookah)
B: inspect other doors (North, east or west)
C: open southern door

Also, let me know if you spent any healing surges. I'll go ahead and say you had a short rest.

Last edited:

jsb420

First Post
Quan reaches out and touches the door handle for the first time. As he does, he just barely feels a slight sting, like static electricity discharge. Grasping the handle fully, he opens the door, revealing only darkness beyond; an empty void.

Suddenly, from the door frame, eldritch runes flare to life, crackling with electricity. Brilliant bolts of lightning arc across the doorway, creating an intricate pattern, almost like a spider’s web. Before anyone can react, a bolt of lightning flares out and strikes the elven monk. Next it arcs to Braddock standing nearby, then it arcs again and again catching Muzdum and Orsik, until finally connecting with the feline-druid just as she was about to leap out of the way. Within a heartbeat, all the heroes are immobilized by the lightning.
GM: Each of you take 5 lightning damage.

Unable to move, the heroes feel themselves being dragged towards the door – even Braddock and Muzdum, as dwarves have been known to be able to stand their ground. Quan is pulled across the threshold and vanishes, followed swiftly by the others.

Time and space is distorted as you feel your physical bodies, stretched, contracted, pushed, pulled and contorted. The next moment your find yourselves in a large cavern, but lit as if in noon day sunlight. Half blinded, eyes tearing, you peer through squinted eyes, twirling back towards the door…and watch it close, become transparent, then disappear entirely with an audible POP!. As your vision clears, you take stock of your environment, noticing giant mushrooms, each as tall as massive oaks towering around you. You are in a mushroom forest, and strangely, the faint smell of tobacco can be detected.

Ahead of you, amidst a cloud of smoky haze, an enormous shape can be seen, resting atop a giant mushroom. Smoke curls up into the sky, its tendrils dissipating in the air, apparently the source of the tobacco smell. A great booming voice rings out, dispelling the silence. ”My, my….what have we here? Visitors? Most curious indeed?”

The smoky haze parts to reveal a gigantic lizard-like creature, its multiple pairs of legs supporting its massive blue scaled body. The upper half of the creature is upright and clutched in its claws is a hose, attached to a vaguely familiar smoking device. The creature takes a puff – the tobacco in the bowl glows a deep red color, sparks cascading out – and then blows out the smoke, electricity crackling briefly in the smoke cloud. ”Hmmm. To make it this far, you must be not only brave, but highly skilled. I see two dwarves; I do find dwarf meat to be tough, like chewing rocks. A couple of elves; elf flesh is too stringy, and here now, a goliath? It has been a while since I’ve dined on tall men flesh.”

Taking another draw on the hookah, the creature shifts its bulk and while exhaling, continues, ”Where are my manners? My name is Verhig. Please, tell me your stories, for surely you have piqued my Curiosity. Then, I’ll decide if I should eat you or not.”
[sblock=Picture] [/sblock]
GM: You are now entering a skill challenge.

[sblock=Skill Challenge] *GOAL: You are trying to convince Verhig as to why he shouldn’t eat you.

*Complexity: 3 (8 successes before 3 failures)
Failures: 0

*DC: All DCs are listed below. All DCs for skills not listed are considered hard (DC 25).

*Skills: You can use a skill not listed below, only if you can explain it reasonably. Any explanation I feel doesn’t correspond with the given skill, I will impose a -2 penalty to it.

* Rules: The same rules apply for skill challenges as apply for encounters (48-hour rule, etc).

*Repeating the Same Skills: Any character repeating the same skill check in two successive rounds will impose a -2 cumulative penalty to the triggering roll (i.e. -2 for second check, -4 for third check, etc.)

*Critical Success: A natural 20 counts as 2 successes OR 1 success and remove 1 failure.

*Critical Failure: A Natural 1 automatically counts as 1 Failure, regardless of any modifiers.

*Aid Another: You can roll to aid another PC. Using the compendium rules, a roll of 10+1/2 the rolling PC’s level or higher grants a +2 to that player’s skill check, while a failure grants a -1 penalty to that player’s skill check. A successful aid another roll does not count towards the total number of successes.
[sblock=*Primary Skills][sblock=Bluff (DC 25)]You try to use beguiling words in order to convince the Behir to spare you and your allies. A success counts towards the Skill Challenge.[/sblock]
[sblock=Diplomacy (DC 19)]Choosing courtly manners and kind words, you try to convince the creature of your loyalty and integrity. A success counts towards the Skill Challenge.[/sblock]
[sblock=History (DC 19)]You search your memory of any texts you’ve read in order to help your current situation. A success counts towards the Skill Challenge.[/sblock]
[sblock=Intimidate (DC 25)]You quietly proclaim swift vengeance against any who threaten you or your allies. A success counts towards the Skill Challenge. Failure imposes a -5 penalty to the next skill roll the failing PC makes.
*NOTE: This skill can only be used once during this skill challenge by ANY PC.[/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=*Secondary Skills][sblock=Arcana (DC 25)]You weave magic into your words, enhancing them, hoping to gain advantage over Verhig. A success does not count towards the Skill Challenge. Instead you gain a +2 bonus to the next primary skill check.[/sblock]
[sblock=Insight (DC 19)]You try to read into the behir’s words and body language, hoping that any foreknowledge can could prevent it from attacking. A success does not count towards the Skill Challenge. Instead you gain a +2 bonus to the next primary skill check.[/sblock]
[sblock=Nature (DC 25)]You are attuned to nature, but this creature is unlike anything in your experience. You draw upon your knowledge of the world and the creatures that reside on it in order to try to gain some advantage you can use to convince Verhig not to devour you. A success does not count towards the Skill Challenge. Instead you gain a +2 bonus to the next primary skill check.[/sblock]
[sblock=Perception (DC 19)]Wary of an attack, you look for any clues as the actions of Verhig. A success does not count towards the Skill Challenge. Instead you gain a +2 bonus to the next primary skill check.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Mushroom Forest]Map #3 Mushroom Forest:

Illumination: Bright (magical light)
Dotted Yellow Line: Outline of doorway (reference only)
Mushrooms: each tree depicted on the map are actually tall mushrooms; 15-feet to 25-feet tall; considered difficult terrain and can provide cover; Athletics check (DC 19) to climb.[/sblock]
[sblock=Stats]
Braddock (M10): 42/57 hp; HS 11/11; AP 1+1; Dwarven Resilience; Status:
Quan (L12): 37/42 hp; HS 6/7; AP 1+1; Second Wind; Elven Accuracy; Status:
Orsik (J12): 48/53 hp; HS 10/10; AP 1; Second Wind; Stone’s Endurance; Rune of Mending [1], [2]; Status:
Muzdum (O11): 44/62; HS 12/12; AP 1; Dwarven Resilience; Status:
Rikka (J10): 55/60 hp; HS 8/8; AP 1; Second Wind; Elven Accuracy; Status:[/sblock]
GM: Braddock: 5 lightning damage
Quan: 5 lightning damage
Orsik: 5 lightning damage
Rikka: 5 lightning damage
Muzdum: 5 lightning damage

Remove ads