• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Abusable At-Will combo?

Kalidrev

First Post
As one of my characters is to be leveling soon, I will be able to create a new character. I am thinking about creating a swordmage with the Mark of Warding Feat and the White Lotus Defense feats.

Mark of Warding states that "Whenever one of your powers grants a bonus to a defense, increase that bonus by 1." There is more, but it doesn't apply to this question.

White Lotus Defense states that "When you hit an enemy with an arcane at-will attack power, you gain a +1 bonus to your defenses against that enemy until the start of your next turn."

Would this combo give a swordmage who used an at-will power a +2 bonus to all defenses until the start of its next turn? Or would it still only give the +1 bonus to all defenses because the defense bonus was not stated directly in the powers entry?

renau1g

First Post
I don't think so. The power doesn't grant you the +1, the feat does.

However the warden power (strength of stone?) does.

renau1g

First Post
I don't think mark of warding's very good for a swordmage (or maybe I'm missing something), because they don't get many powers that bump their AC right?

Kalidrev

First Post
Yeah, that's why I wanted to check. It could have been really good for a swordmage if that would have worked. Mark of Warding is still good for ANY defender because of the -3 mark penalty instead of the -2, but alas, the lack of extra defenses in it's powers makes the feat not really worth taking. Good to know, I'll look elsewhere for my swordmage ^_^.

Remove ads