• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

a silly question

what may be a futile question:

i'm currently playing a half elven ranger (monte cook) with a bent toward archery, as far as combat goes. the problem is this - at the moment, and for the forseeable future, the party will be facing legions of undead. as arrows seem to have a minimal effect on skeletons, do people have any suggestions? im about a hundred experience points from a feat, so thats entirely possible. perhaps a recommended magic item or tactic, or should i just suck it up and find a mace?

Malicene

First Post
here is some solution :

- buy a mace or craft a club :(
- use alchemist fire attach to an arrow (to hit penalty but some fire damage : undead don't have a high armor class...)
- use magical arrow (fire/shock) : half damage for arrow but full 1d6 fire/lightning
- use bird killing arrow (arrow with a bludgeoning head) less damage but no 1/2 piercing

the tricky solution :
have Green slime is a glass vial (small) attach to arrow and fire (with a lot of care !):D

Zhure

First Post
I'll second the mace/club route. Don't waste a feat away from your speciality.

OTOH, slings are an oft-under used resource for archer types. Cheap bludgeoning goodness. PBS and Rapid Shot, et al, work just as well for a sling.

Greg

Marimmar

First Post
My advice would be to get yourself a sling and a ton of lead bullets since sling bullet damage is bludgeoning damage and thus affects skeletons. The low damage and no strength damage bonus is a drawback though.

~Marimmar

Zhure

First Post
Marimmar said:
My advice would be to get yourself a sling and a ton of lead bullets since sling bullet damage is bludgeoning damage and thus affects skeletons. The low damage and no strength damage bonus is a drawback though.

~Marimmar

The character probably doesn't get a STR bonus already, as an archer, whether using a bow or a crossbow. The difference is if he uses a Mighty bow.

Implementing a house rule for Mighty slings is easily done if he's really strong.

Greg

Marimmar

First Post
Zhure said:
The character probably doesn't get a STR bonus already, as an archer, whether using a bow or a crossbow. The difference is if he uses a Mighty bow.

The only archers I've seen so far all use mighty bows and have a Strength bonus, even if it's a small one. If he really needs to deal bludgeoning damage he could also take quickdraw as his next feat and use clubs as thrown weapons. That would be an interesting character concept. The dual wielding rapid shooting quick drawing club throwing bane of all bone creatures. :D

~Marimmar

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads