• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) A journey example

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is a short example of how a journey works in LU: A5E.

The party of four is traveling from The Shire (a tier 1 Country Shire) to Rivendell (a tier 2 Feywood). Along the way they will need to traverse Bree (a tier 1 Urban Township) and Weathertop (tier 2 Rolling Grasslands). It's a journey of 120 miles overall* through 4 different regions.

The party is traveling on horses, which means they are moving at a Fast pace -- 32 miles per day. That makes it about a 4-day journey.

They stock up on Supply at The Shire. Each can carry an amount of Supply equal to their Strength score, but they don't need that much for 4 days. They each carry 5 Supply for themselves, plus 10 Supply for their mounts, for a total of 60 Supply. They do not anticipate any problems with Supply.

For the first region -- a tier 1 Country Shire -- each adventurer chooses an activity. The rogue decides to Chronicle (making a map and notes so that they have bonuses in the region in future). The ranger Scouts (learning information about adjacent regions). The cleric Prays (giving the party some divine bonuses). And the wizard spends her time Gathering Components for her spells.

In this first region, the Narrator rolls for one encounter. This might end up being a monster, exploration, or social encounter. Each region type (there are 15) has four encounter tables, one for each tier (for a total of 60 possible regions). The Narrator rolls and gets a monster encounter -- unusual in a tier 1 Country Shire, but it occasionally happens. It's goblins! The Narrator quickly grabs the Monstrous Managerie and opens it at the goblins entry. First she rolls for signs: the party finds a looted corpse with a short arrow in it. She rolls for the encounters and gets a lone goblin (there's a table for various goblin encounters in the book). She also rolls for behavior: the goblin is one exiled from its group. Also there's a handy list of goblin names there, so she chooses Flea.

The encounter unfolds, and Flea ends up trading information about its ex-tribe's lair and plans in exchange for its life. The party continues.

They pass through three more regions -- Bree, Weathertop, and Rivendell, each adventurer choosing an activity in each. In Bree they encounter a pickpocket. Weathertop is an exploration challenge -- a horrible storm, during which they lose a lot of their supplies. That will be a problem, as there's no more settlements before Rivendell. And as they approach Rivendell they get a social encounter: a stubborn shepherd whose flock blocks the way.

During the first part of the journey - The Shire - the whole area counts as a safe haven, so there is no danger of fatigue. Bree is a town, where an inn provides a haven. After that, though, the party is in the wild. The events on Weathertop and the lack of a haven mean that as they approach Rivendell, two of the group are suffering from one level of fatigue -- the lost supplies meant somebody had to go without!

So that's a very simple example. What I didn't include was exploration knacks that the party might have used to help them. But I hope it gives an idea of what a journey looks like.

*I'm just making that up. Don't quibble!

Last edited:

Interesting. I like the change of supplies to a more abstract system that's still important. Also a fan of how the encounters seem to present themselves. Can't wait to read more

Faolyn

(she/her)
Quibblequibblequibble

No, but seriously, I have no quibbles with your example, Morrus. It sounds like this is definitely going to make travel a heck of a lot better, whether the table relies on just die rolls or goes all the way into roleplaying breakfast. I'm definitely loving what I see and will very much be using it in my games. And I imagine that, with 60 tables, there will be more than enough examples there to base new tables on should we have an interest in larger encounter tables or in creating new regions for our own settings.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
should we have an interest in larger encounter tables or in creating new regions for our own settings.
This is something I think will be fun -- third parties creating regions which can be dropped into games. We have 15 (and of course each of those can be tiers 1-4). I reckon third parties could come up with dozens more.

The format of a region is a little in flux right now as we develop it, but here's an idea of where we are. It may (will!) change!

Frozen Wastes​

Endless fields of white and imposing mountains stretching towards the sky fill this icy land, and though it is rather devoid of life it is a place of great peril. Adventurers journeying through this region have to overcome many natural terrain and weather event exploration challenges, and perhaps a few combat or social encounters.

Chilly. Without the proper gear or magic to survive the cold temperatures, a creature suffers a level of fatigue when taking a long rest in this environment (even if it has Supply).

Snow. Creatures gain advantage on Survival checks to find a target using tracks left in the snow. Tracks take a concerted effort to hide and can only be concealed while traveling at a slow pace.

Table: Frozen Wastes Encounters
Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3Tier 4
d100 exploration, monster, social encountersd100 exploration, monster, social encountersd100 exploration, monster, social encountersd100 exploration, monster, social encounters

Journey Activities*: Befriend Animal (DC x), Busk (DC x), Chronicle (DC x), Gather Components (DC x), Gossip (DC x), Harvest (DC x), Hunt (DC x) Forage (DC x), Pray (DC x), Rob (DC x), Scout (DC x)

*DC comes from activity type by region by tier

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I've tried journey/travel mechanics in past o5e campaigns when it felt appropriate but the fact that they were bolted onto a system that violently makes efforts to obliviate that sort of thing left them being more work to be meaningful than they were a benefit. For that reason, this is really interesting as a mechanic more tightly integrated into the system as a whole for a5e.

Stalker0

Legend
I like the concept quite a bit. I'm curious what Levelup's thoughts/plan are for higher level travel spells (Teleport Circle, Wind Walk, etc).

Is the plan to change those spells, keep them but add some kind of advanced journey rules for those higher level abilities....or just leave them as is and then if the party uses them to bypass regions, then so be it.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Is the plan to change those spells, keep them but add some kind of advanced journey rules for those higher level abilities....or just leave them as is and then if the party uses them to bypass regions, then so be it.
I'd guess the latter. High-level spells should help to bypass reality, after all.

That being said, I could imagine creatures and effects that could be used to hinder those spells--wind-based creatures that take umbrage at fleshy folk using wind walk, for instance.

Remove ads