• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3e Beginner Question

Golandrinel

First Post
As I said the other day, I'm a veteran 2e'er but am only just embarking on 3e ... Now, kits have gone and they're replaced, dsort of, by prestige classes, yes? No?

In which rulebook are prestige classes first introduced. I have a few ideas about some custom ones that I'd like to put out on general...

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Golandrinel said:
As I said the other day, I'm a veteran 2e'er but am only just embarking on 3e ... Now, kits have gone and they're replaced, dsort of, by prestige classes, yes? No?

In which rulebook are prestige classes first introduced. I have a few ideas about some custom ones that I'd like to put out on general...

The DMG has the prestige classes from the core rulebooks.

They are sort of like kits, but instead of being something you add to your character at 1st level, they a goal that your character can work toward acquiring. And you can have multiple prestige classes.

Darklone

A wee late to convert to 3rd edition, eh? I'd suggest you wait a few months longer and start with 3.5rd edition...

Surefoot

First Post
Prestige classes are cool for adding better abilities to your character than you would've gotten if you gained a lvl in your normal class.

Golandrinel

First Post
Better late than never! And at £30 per rulebook for 3.5 I don't know that I'll ever be upgrading wholesale ... but as I understand it you'll be able to get the upgrades in pdf or some other free format?? Yes / No?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
The rules upgrades will make it into the SRD, so that will be free. But if you want the new layout and all, you have to pay full price.

Darklone

Originally posted by Surefoot Prestige classes are cool for adding better abilities to your character than you would've gotten if you gained a lvl in your normal class.

That's exactly the reason why I don't like them. Thanks :D

Gaiden

Explorer
If you are new to 3E and want to introduce the equivalent of kits in the form of PrC's I would suggest looking at EN World's conversion forum as they have worked long and hard converting most of the kits of 2E to PrC's or core classes for 3E and many of the balance problems you are likely to encounter - being unfamiliar with the system - are already all worked out.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Note that many of the old kits can be emulated by merely choosing the right race, class or class combination, skills, and feats. An assassin, for example, would be a rogue with many ranks in hide and move silently, with weapon focus on his most used weapon, and maybe with a couple of levels of fighter. The PrC Assassin indeed goes farther, since you get the death attack and a spell progression (amongst other things).

Golandrinel

First Post
Does the DMG give rules on creating new PRC's? (My DMG arrives tomorrow .. I'm excited! How odd! The mere mention of 3e used to turn my milk sour!!!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads