• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5e] Damage Reduction

RigaMortus

Explorer
aliensex said:
The whole material argument is academic anyways. There will be a plethora of Transmutation spells in upcoming suplements that will allow casters to change the material of items easily. I wouldn't be surprised if there was something included in 3.5e when it is released. A 1st level Transmute Metal spell to change from steel to iron, silver, cold iron, etc.

I'll stick with the old DR system. Less headaches I think.

I read the opposite somewhere actually. That WotC had no plans of introducing spells that transmute weapon materials or "buff" a weapon to act as if it was made of a different material. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Petrosian said:

I doubt the recent angel episode would have had the same dramatic sense if after seeing angel bash the creature ineffectually Wesly pulled out a wand and dropped it with magic missiles and dropped it.

I think the creature would have laughed as his Magic Immunity shrugged off the effects of the wand.

Petrosian

First Post
You are correct

dragon 306 pgs 74-75 covers this.

there will be alignment duping spells for weapons, so you can just spell your way around that trait.
The current magic weapon and GMW will remain in play so you can spell your way around them (with a reference to GMW being 1/4 but also a reference to it being made more useful???)

but they specifically said No to "materials" spells...

i cannot for the life of me fathom why? It makes sense that the others are spell-beatavle why not this one? But for some reason they see the material transmute thing as a no-no. Although they do say poly any object can do it.

I mean, Ok, riddle me this designer-dr supporters...

Why is it BETTER for the solution to be "or use spells" so that the sorcerer drops the werewolf with MM while the fighter twiddles his thumbs or just plays "fight defensivley" blocker

AS OPPOSED TO...

The wizard on round 1 casts "silver weapon" on the fighter's axe and then for the rest of the fight both the wizard and the fighter work to damage the bad werewolfy thing?

Why is the former so absolutely superior to the latter that we will declare NO OBVIOUS SPELLS WILL BE PRODUCED TO SOLVE THE MATERIAL THINGY, unlike the other indicators?

RigaMortus said:

I read the opposite somewhere actually. That WotC had no plans of introducing spells that transmute weapon materials or "buff" a weapon to act as if it was made of a different material. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
RigaMortus said:

You forgot one thing:

As the guards apparently slay the beast and turn their backs to it to go get help lugging it to the morgue, the creature regenerates it's wounds, stands up and rips their throats at.

Regen (or is it Fast Healing) is a wonderful thing. Of course, this could be considered speculation just as your post could be. The point is moot until we see the final product.

Sure if you house rule that they have Regeneration/Fast Healing. But they do not have that now nor has anyone even hinted that they would in the new revision. Unlike the DR rules which have been leaked enough to discuss, there has been no indication that were-creatures would be given anything as powerful as regeneration. In all the leaks it has been stated that the DRs were lowered so that you would not need the special materials, it would just make life easier. If you give creatures regeneration to anything but the special material you are voiding the reason for DR reduction and ensuring that the Golf Bag is REQUIRED.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Brown Jenkin said:

Sure if you house rule that they have Regeneration/Fast Healing. But they do not have that now nor has anyone even hinted that they would in the new revision. Unlike the DR rules which have been leaked enough to discuss, there has been no indication that were-creatures would be given anything as powerful as regeneration. In all the leaks it has been stated that the DRs were lowered so that you would not need the special materials, it would just make life easier. If you give creatures regeneration to anything but the special material you are voiding the reason for DR reduction and ensuring that the Golf Bag is REQUIRED.

Some, not all, of the DR info was "leaked" to us. So like I said, until the finished product comes out, the point is moot.

If I am not mistaken, Trolls have regeneration but not against fire. It could be possible that WotC applied something like this to lycanthropes. Where, they do have DR but unless you are using a silver weapon, the damage you are doing is subdual and they will regnerate it even if they drop dead (unconcious). We'll just have to wait and see, but until then it is all speculation.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
RigaMortus said:

Some, not all, of the DR info was "leaked" to us. So like I said, until the finished product comes out, the point is moot.

If I am not mistaken, Trolls have regeneration but not against fire. It could be possible that WotC applied something like this to lycanthropes. Where, they do have DR but unless you are using a silver weapon, the damage you are doing is subdual and they will regnerate it even if they drop dead (unconcious). We'll just have to wait and see, but until then it is all speculation.

Sure were might get regen not vs silver. But do we really think all fey will, or all other DR special material creatures will. A speciifc example might get debunked, but the general rule shown that with DR5 and 10 being the norm the special mateiral can be powered through by the town guards, so this doesn'y really represent special material invulnerability goodness.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Andion Isurand said:
If a monster possess a certain type of damage reduction, don't their natural attacks beat the same type of damage reduction?

Currently yes, exactly how they will interact in 3.5 I don't know. it may end up being DR10 silver only penetrates silver DR, but it also might end up they penetrate all DRs, or maybe all DRs 10 or below. personally I'd go with the 3rd option.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Hmmm.... Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but I like the new DR. I like it because it will allow me to use current player trends to create interesting situations.

For instance, most PCs (not just fighters,) focus in a single weapon-type and put in a few (if not more) feats into its use. Maces for the clerics, crossbows for the sorcerers, swords or axes for the fighters and barbarians. And often they won't take the same weapon within the party, either. So you have your Axe-man, your Greatsword-guy, your Bow-fellow, etc.

Now, when I'm tossing out loot, I can occasionally drop a Silver Axe, or a Cold Iron Greatsword, or perhaps a quiver of jade-tipped arrowheads. And now, when the party happens across something that needs a specific material, the one party member with that type of weapon is suddenly the star. The others start working out ways to support the one guy among them who's cutting through the DR.

I think it makes for an interesting session, when the sorcerer is suddenly the go-to damage guy. :D

Then again, perhaps this is because I doubt I'll make special-material weapons available for purchase at the local smith's.

Petrosian

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:

but the general rule shown that with DR5 and 10 being the norm the special mateiral can be powered through by the town guards, so this doesn'y really represent special material invulnerability goodness.

Actually as i cited above, they now say that 10 dr is the mean with plenty of 5 and 15 around. For 10 to be the mean, then there will need to be roughly as many 5s as 15s.

if the typical dr is 10, the town guards may well see that as invulnerability.

Remove ads