• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5e] A fix for free weapons from multiclassing?

RigaMortus

Explorer
I wonder if they are going to change the rules about getting free weapon proficienices from multiclassing? How a level 1 Wizard who has no idea how to use a longsword can suddenly becomes proficient in not only a long sword, but all other Martial weapons, just by taking a level of Fighter.

isoChron

First Post
Play it !
Just let the wizard play around with the party weapons in the evening and let him take lessons from the party fighter/ranger/paladin/barbarian ....

It's a thing you can roleplay.
And I don't think you wield 25 different weapons in the first week of your new fighter level. It mostly comes down to a martial weapon, a ranged weapon and a dagger or such.

Introduce training rules if you like (there are some in the DMG I think).
Most things can be solved with a bit roleplaying. You don't need rules for everything.
Just my 2cents.

BYE

Last edited:

jhanzur

First Post
If training rules are used (which I highly advise) nothing comes for free or instantaneously. So I wouldn't say that the current 3.0E rules ignore multiclassing concerns. I think training is optional, if I remember right, so you could talk to your GM and ask him to institute them.

Stalker0

Legend
One of the problems dnd abstraction causes is that a 1st level character is usually one who has been training for years and years. But a 1st level in a class as a multiclass usually comes out in much less tiem. But hey, its a game, and we move on.

Fedifensor

Explorer
Multiclass...or be an elf?

Or you could take an elf wizard and get both bow and sword proficiency from 1st level. Even better, you don't sacrifice a precious spellcasting level to do it...and the other benefits outweigh the loss of a feat and a few skill points.

All things considered, the proficiencies from multiclassing aren't significant enough to worry about.

Darklone

They are not?

I know enough rogues who multiclassed into one or two or four levels of fighter or barbarian and it increased their fighting power enourmously.

Zhure

First Post
- I strongly advise against using the training rules and am glad they're optional rules in 3.0. Starting in 1e, at least it was clear training costs were intended to relieve the PC's of excess cash, but that distinction had been forgotten by 2e. Frankly, I think the game has grown enough that such a transparent mechanic has disappeared.

My primary objection to training: it's boring. Sure, one sees training sequences in movies and books, but they're either action scenes, where we watch the hero practice new techniques or they're glossed over and the plot progresses rapidly. So if you're running a cinematic campaign, you opt for a brief action sequence. If you're running a novella game, you gloss over the training.

If you implement training rules, the game bogs down, as not all the PC's will level at the same time in most cases. The 'casters will level at odd times, because of magic item manufacture. Newer characters will level more often if they're started at a lower level. It can create a bookkeeping nightmare as time gets staggered for different blocks of PC's, some who are training and some who are not. It's unfair for the non-training PC's to have to sit bored in town doing nothing while their comrades train, and it's unfair for the non-training PC's go out adventuring because they'll gain more experience and have fun.

Training isn't fun for anyone.

- Wizards aren't "unfamiliar" with longswords and martial weapons; they are just "unproficient." A wizard can wield a longsword at a -4. If he takes a fighter level, he gets that penalty negated. The same is true for all martial weapons.

I've seen characters wield weapons with which they are non-proficient and roleplay their eventual mastery of that weapon, something that was impossible to do in earlier editions.

Greg

Darklone

Zhure said:
I've seen characters wield weapons with which they are non-proficient and roleplay their eventual mastery of that weapon, something that was impossible to do in earlier editions.

Greg

Elven archers with whips... yeah. Not proficient but horribly effective.

Bauglir

First Post
Darklone said:
They are not?

I know enough rogues who multiclassed into one or two or four levels of fighter or barbarian and it increased their fighting power enourmously.

And reduced their sneak attack, skills and rogue abilities proportionally..

Remove ads