• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Ranger but with d10. How to balance?

I really think the ranger should have a d10, but in all other respects I like the 3.5 ranger better than the 3.0 ranger. What would be the simplest way to re-balance the class after boosting the hit die back up where it belongs?

Would it be enough to restrict the armor proficiency to light armor only? Or do I need to go further than that?

whydirt

First Post
What about the Ranger makes you think that a d10 HD belongs to the class?

Your rationale might help with suggesting alternatives.

The reason I like the d10 for the ranger is that hit points are supposed to represent not only toughness but also the character's ability to defend himself, to make hits less damaging. The archetype of the hunter seems to call for light armor and yet strong combat skill, so it seems that a high hit die is the best way to represent this. In any case, I would much prefer to have a ranger with a d10 and wearing light armor than a ranger with a d8 wearing medium armor.

So, I definitely want to limit the ranger to light armor, but I'm not sure that's enough.

I REALLY like the idea of dumping the spells. Would that be going too far, if I am also restricting armor to light??

I wouldn't bother restricting the armor proficiency. Since it's already the case that the ranger only gains his "combat style" benefits if he's wearing light or no armor, I think the 3.5 ranger already represents your "light armor and yet strong combat skill" ideal pretty well. On the other hand, the proficiency reduction isn't a very significant change, so if you felt better doing it (for flavor reasons, for instance), I doubt it'd be game-breaking, or result in an underpowered ranger, in the least.

But note that I don't think that reducing the initial proficiencies isn't enough of a disadvantage to justify the increased hit die in itself, since the ranger could always take a level of fighter, paladin, or barbarian to get medium armor (or more) while retaining his favorable hit die. The nice thing about dropping the spells is that the lack of spellcasting ability impacts rangers throughout their advancement, in the same way that the increased hit die does.

Finally, note that the 3.5e ranger with a d10 hit die and no spells seems to stack up pretty well against the fighter. The fighter's array of bonus feats and heightened focus and specialization options seem more or less fairly balanced against the ranger's strong reflex saves, additional skill points, and array of combat styles and special abilities.

ruleslawyer

I'd not knock out the spells.

Get rid of the good Reflex save and evasion, and limit proficiency to light armor. I think that's a fair trade for (gasp!) a maximum of 40 extra hit points over the character's lifetime.

Ferret

Explorer
On the "Defend yourself" the rogue should get a d8/10 the clerics sghould be lower and all maner of changes, the d10 and d8 fit I think for the ranger.

Technik4

First Post
Changing the 3.5 ranger from a d8 to a d10:

Drop Good Reflex Save and Evasion abilities

Drop Medium Armor Proficiency and Spells

Drop Good Fortitude Save and Endurance bonus feat

Drop Animal Companion, Wild Empathy, and Track

Drop Combat Paths (3 feats total)

Seems to me that any of that would work in exchange for a higher hit die.

Technik

DonAdam

Explorer
Here are the mods I will be using:

-drop combat paths
-drop spells
-Ref saves are poor
-drop Evasion
-drop Endurance

then...

-bump HD from d8 to d10
-add bonus feats a la BOHM ranger (every 4th level)
-at 9th (instead of evasion) give trackless step
-move animal companion to 2nd level, make it as potent as the druid's
-make favored terrain an option with favored enemy
-Edit: Since they took it out, add back in medium armor proficiency (with my ruling that medium armor reduces run speed and heavy armor reduces speed).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads