• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 power attack: the designers' rationale

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Ed Stark has specifically given me permission to repost this. It originally appeared on an industry mailing list:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to jump in at the end of this, but I saw the topic and asked Andy Collins, who is very eloquent in rules explanations, to take a shot at explaining why we changed Power Attack. Here's his response:

<<<Andy speaks>>>
Power Attack doesn't do what most players think it does.

Most players think that Power Attack is the feat for the 18-Str barbarian with the greataxe. It's not--it's the feat for the 13-Str, 18-Dex ranger with two short swords. That's what the 3.5 change aims to fix.

This is because the lower your average damage, the more advantageous it is to give away a point of attack bonus to gain a point of damage.

At its most basic level, Power Attack increases the risk of dealing zero damage (because of a miss) in exchange for increased damage in the case of a hit. The higher your expected damage, the greater the cost of a miss (and thus the lower your expected damage, the lower the cost of a miss).

Look at it this way. Every point of attack bonus given up translates roughly to a 5% decrease in damage over the long run, since you're hitting 5% less often. (I say roughly because this ignores automatic hits and misses.) A 5% decrease in the barbarian's damage is more than a 5% decrease in the ranger's damage, because the barbarian's expected damage per attack is higher.

In a perfect world, Power Attack would work just like Strength bonus to damage (half for light, normal for one-handed, one-and-one-half for two-handed). But unlike Str bonus (which generally only has to be calculated once, at which point it's written down on the character sheet), the PA bonus changes every round. Asking players to calculate those numbers on the fly grinds combat to a halt. Thus, the 3.5 PA simplifies it to "none for light, normal for one-handed, double for two-handed." Ultimately, the difference isn't that huge--a few points of damage here or there.

The new PA becomes much more attractive to the exact characters and monsters that we want using it--raging barbarians with greataxes, giants, and other big, beefy monsters that smash you with two-handed weapons. At the same time, it's becoming less attractive to characters who we don't want to use it--rogues, rangers, and all those finesse monsters.

(I also think that you're dramatically underestimating the value of a shield bonus to AC. If anything, I worry that two-handed weapon users and two-weapon users are *still* underpowered compared to weapon-and-shielders, but adding more significant changes were deemed inappropriate for the revision.)

<<<end Andy-speak>>>

I hope that explicates why we made the change we did. Certainly, there are judgement calls involved, here, but I think the rationale is a good one. I particularly like that the character who gains the main benefit from the 3.5 PA is the big, strong guy wielding the two-handed weapon. It just makes more sense (to me) that way than the slim halfling with the rapier.

Ed Stark
Dungeons & Dragons Design Manager

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, Piratecat here. I was dead set against the change before this. Now I'm intrigued enough to try it. We'll see how it goes.

spunky_mutters

First Post
He pretty much says that, but I think the between-the-lines is that they didn't do the test-cases that show that average damage output goes down with power attack (assuming a high str). Actually, on the Bar20 in the DMG, he does 56.875 dam/rnd with no power attack, and 56.25 with a 5 point power attack (vs. AC 28 which is average for the NPCs there at that level).

If he had more damage bonuses, power attack would be reducing his average relative to a regular attack even more. I can't believe they don't (or at least didn't) use these kind of tests during the design phase. I'd like to see the testing methodology they use. If it's just playtesting, that goes a long way towards explaining how things slip through the cracks. Especially if things are playtested with one description, and this is 'cleaned up' before it goes to press.

Brown Jenkin said:
So the rational is that since we arn't using the feats the way they envisioned we are doing it wrong.

No, he's saying they since we're not using the feat they way they envisioned it they designed it wrong, and made corrections.

Malin Genie

First Post
The problem IMHO with this change is that it will tilt the playing field even more toward two-handed-weapon-wielding-Str-monster fighting types.

Not that I think such a choice should not be viable (I myself play a longspear-wielding Barbarian) but I don't want to see "sword-and-board" or "two-weapon" left in the dust.

In fact, the 3.0 Power Attack was the one way to make a viable Str 13 Dex 18 fighter - without the flexibility inherent in being able to trade off some of the extra AB for damage a two-weapon high-dex fighter is going to be left well and truly behind.

I certainly agree that the way in which it ws used didn't fit the concept - why not rename it 'Precision Attack' and have it used just the way it was before?

Last edited:

DonAdam

Explorer
I'll decide whether or not to use it based on the math, which I will get one of my players to do (two math majors and math professor among them, I love my group).

If it always benefits those that have to roll 11 or higher, I don't want it, because I don't think it's the type of feat that should be used every round (stylistically speaking). It still opens up a great feat chain.

MadScientist

First Post
It doesn't really bother me much that finesse fighters can get more out of Power Attack than two handed weapon fighters. The two handed weapon fighter still has more damage potential over all.

I'm also concerned that PA will be so good that it will be used all the time. Even now I play a two handed weapon, strength fighter and know when to use PA and I use it quite a bit. Even against enemies with pretty good AC's you can abuse them with PA by accumulating enough circumstance bonuses to your attack bonus(like charging into a flanking position).

It feels like they are replacing a simple elegant mechanic, with one that is clunky and quite possibly broken, just to fix a pretty minor quirk in the rules. I mean if they wanted to discourage finesse fighters and rogues from PAing all the time upping the strength prerequisite to 15 would probably do a pretty good job of that too..... Of course that could close off a feat chain for low Strength fighters, I'm not sure thats good either.

Hey, at least it's pretty darn easy to house rule.

Edit: Spelling and tried to fix some awkward sentences.

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I was very skeptical at first--the 10th level character I adventure with regularly does 50-75 points of damage per round with his falchion and 3.0 power attack. However, with the changes to the haste spell, it's one of the ways for melee characters to make up for their full attack deficit vis a vis archers.

Unfortunately, sword and board fighters, finesse types, and TWF characters are left out in the cold by the change.

Remove ads