• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Is every Magic Change Downward?

aurellius

First Post
After following all the sneak peaks and rumors and leaks it seems like every non magic aspect of the game has stayed the same or risen upwards in power while every magic tidbit is about reduced power.

Has anyone seen anything that makes magic better in anyway?

Marcus

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The page requirement for spells has gone from 2 pages per level to one page per level (so a 9th level spell takes 9 pages versus 18), while the scribing cost stays the same at 100 gp's per page.

This means it's 50% cheaper for a mage to scribe spells, which means they should have more options.

tieranwyl

First Post
Yep. Thank the power gamers with prestige classes. Check out Dragon 309. The feat Spell Focus gets nerfed because it is too powerful with a prestige class. I thought prestige classes were for NPC's anyway. So the only way to fix the problem is a revision? Why not fix the power gamer instead?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Archer said:
Who paid to scribe spells before? Every wizard had a Boccobs Blessed Book. 50% cheaper doesn't change anything.

Wow, all the wizards your games start off with a 9,000 gp magic item?

Pretty generous DM there.

Besides, you haven't seen the 3.5 Boccob's Blessed book yet.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:

I bet we'll be able to argue about it no matter what they've changed ;)

-Hyp.

You would say that!!! I resent this!!! Your logic is broken!!! Your arguments are nerfed!!! My deoderant got the shaft!!! I'm never posting again!!! Until someone says something else I want to respond to!!!! How dare you nerf me like that!!!!

Nerf nerf nerf nerf!!!

:D sorry. it's been said so much recently, I just couldn't help it LOL

DC

Apok

First Post
DreamChaser said:

You would say that!!! I resent this!!! Your logic is broken!!! Your arguments are nerfed!!! My deoderant got the shaft!!! I'm never posting again!!! Until someone says something else I want to respond to!!!! How dare you nerf me like that!!!!

Yoinked! for the .sig file.

Destil

Explorer
tieranwyl said:
Yep. Thank the power gamers with prestige classes. Check out Dragon 309. The feat Spell Focus gets nerfed because it is too powerful with a prestige class. I thought prestige classes were for NPC's anyway. So the only way to fix the problem is a revision? Why not fix the power gamer instead?
Also, the problem (according to Andy Collins' message board http://pub36.ezboard.com/fgameschat19968frm10.showMessage?topicID=357.topic) is also greater spell focus. I think the reasoning goes like this:

*Greater Spell Focus is too powerful.
*If we leave Greater Spell Focus out of the revised PH, people will re-introduce it because it's been in 2 books already.
*Thus the only way to fix greater spell focus is to make it +2, and make spell focus +1. If we simply don't print it and leavs spell fosuc as it people will keep using the already printed GSF.

As with a few other revison changes, their hearts are in the right place, but I think they could have implemented it better (perhaps a sidebar in the DMG about new feats that specificaly mentions that a "Greater Spell Focus with would grant +4 to save DCs would be overpowerd", or just an insert that says "you shouldn't really use this").

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads