• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Glass-Studded Whip Master Optimization

Isiolith

First Post
I realize by not coming on here at character creation that I've probably screwed myself out of completely cheese-ing out this character, but I figured I'd get people's ideas on possible ways to take him in the future.

I'm playing (and building) a fighter who specializes, yes, in whips -- but not the standard kind; rather, he uses the glass-studded whip known as the nagaika (MOTW 27). I had been planning on transitioning into the Lasher PrC (S&F 25), which I still plan on doing, but I'm now questioning just how far into that class I want to proceed, as well as things like feat choice and whatnot.

I hadn't really thought too far out, just the next feat(s) or so, gained at level six (we just hit four):

- I've been working toward the Ranged Threat feat (AEG, "Feats" 66), which requires a Dex of 13+, Combat Reflexes (which I'm planning on taking this level, even though I currently can't threaten/make attacks of opportunity), Point Blank and Rapid Shots (both of which I've taken), and a BaB of 5+ and, as one might correctly infer, imparts the ability to threaten an area up to 20 feet away (that extra five feet goes to waste, but eh) and make attacks of opportunity (though flanking is still restricted).
- This ties in nicely with the abilities granted at Lasher 1 (which I'm now thinking of taking at 7 instead of 6, which is when I fully meet the prerequisites--I'd just hate missing out on that extra feat, though I haven't decided what to take!), which include:

1) the ability to make sneak attacks (+1d6 to start) and flank with the whip;
2)the ability to attack an enemy while in a threatened square and not provoke an AoO (effectively making the whip be treated like the melee weapon it is, not the ranged it starts out as);
3) the ability to do lethal or nonlethal damage at the character's option (which is a moot point considering I'm using a weapon that does lethal damage by default, although I own a regular whip as well); and
4) the ability to make attacks of opportunity within five feet (again, moot considering Ranged Threat's bonuses)

So I guess my question(s) is/are...should I continue in Lasher after taking the first level--are the benefits worth it? What other feat should I take at Fighter 6? How would you all build this character from here on out given what I'm starting with?

Also--and this might change some possible suggestions--the DM has ruled that since Lasher 1 effectively turns the whip into a melee weapon in combat and not a ranged one, while I wouldn't be able to take any more ranged weapon feats for it, the ones I do have would still stand and things like Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave/Whirlwind Attack are okay. Yes, I know this sounds broken and is probably a bad interpretation of the rules, but that's the way it is--so cheese away.

Just for the record, a full list of feats thus far (and ones I'm most definitely going to take, unless someone can give me a well-reasoned alternative):

EWP: Whip
Weapon Focus: Whip
Point-Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Rapid Shot
(Combat Reflexes, 4)
(Ranged Threat, 6)
(???, Fighter Bonus, 6)

Also: stats might be helpful. STR 18, DEX/CON 17, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 7

I use a heavy wooden shield as well.

I await any suggestions. Thanks, guys. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads