• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Exactly how does Call Lightening Work Now?

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Hardhead said:
If you already have a copy of the PhB, I'd love to know how exactly Call Lightening works now.

I don't have it with me, but I recall that you can call a bolt of lightning immediately upon completion, and once every round thereafter for up to 10 bolts. You don't have to be outdoors, and no storm is required--but the damage die goes up to d10 if there's a storm (including a djinni storm or the like).

-z

EricNoah

Adventurer
Well, ok, but only if I get to move this thread to the Rules forum.

Dru3
casting time 1 round
range medium
duration 1 min/lv
save reflex half
sr yes

You call down a 3d6 lighting bolt once per round using a standard action; the max number of bolts you can call is equal to your caster level (up to 10). You don't have to call a bolt in any particular round if you don't want to. It functions indoors or underground, but not under water. If you are outdoors and it is stormy the bolts do 3d10.

There's also a Call Lightning Storm (Dru 5, long range, 5d6 or 5d10 damage, up to 15 bolts).

Last edited:

Hardhead

Explorer
Thanks. Seems like it's still not that great unless you have a natural storm brewing. 3d6 per round as a standard action isn't really that great for a 3rd level spell.

DM_Matt

First Post
Hardhead said:
Thanks. Seems like it's still not that great unless you have a natural storm brewing. 3d6 per round as a standard action isn't really that great for a 3rd level spell.

Well, if the definition of storm still includes cloudy skies, it isn't that bad.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Interesting that call lightning now does lots of tiny lightning bolts rather than (per melee) one or so *real big ones*.

I can see why they would want to balance it somewhat, but it always used to be the signature "big boom" spell for druids.

I wonder, does each l-bolt affect just one target, or does it still have a radius effect?

Belbarrus

First Post
"but it always used to be the signature "big boom" spell for druids."

Years ago, in a 1st edition AD&D game we had a Druid in the party cast Call Lightning. The spell took 10 rounds to cast and had a really huge area. The area meant that you could call down a lightning bolt *in* that area, but the DM mistook this as the are OF the bolt (i.e. he said that the bolt itself was something like a 300' radius).
This happened to occur at the end of an adventure and created a great movie-like climax to the adventure. One of the other party members carried the Druid so he could move while casting the spell. We all hurried out of the area of effect just as a gigantic area was blasted with lightning, wiping out whatever or whoever it was that we were running from. :)

Call Lightning sucked in 3rd Edition when it took 100 combat rounds to cast and you could call down 1 bolt every 100 combat rounds :(

Belbarrus

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Hardhead said:

Is the range fixed at time of casting, or does it move with the druid? For example, can I cast the spell, move 500 feet, and strike anyone within medium range with a lightning bolt, or can I only strike someone within medium range of my position when I cast the spell?

Assuming the range travels with you, it's not too bad: cast it at the beginning of a combat, and whenever you don't have anything better to do, you can send a lightning bolt down on your enemies. Its decent duration means you might be able to use it over multiple battles, unlike similar spells such as produce flame.

Not great, but somewhat useful -- and the only direct-damage spell druids get at 3rd level, I think.

Daniel

Hardhead

Explorer
What's bizzare - to my mind - is that Flaming Sphere deals 2d6 damage and only takes a move action to move around. And it's only 2nd level. So, for the trade up to 3rd level, you only get one extra d6 *and* it takes a standard action instead of a move? Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads