• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Difficult terrain may now prevent 5 foot steps.

Aaron2

Explorer
That's probably a good thing. However, reading this page makes me think that the rules haven't been written more clearly between revisions.

aaron

Stalker0

Legend
Aaron2 said:
That's probably a good thing. However, reading this page makes me think that the rules haven't been written more clearly between revisions.

aaron

We'll have to see what it says under the 5 foot step rule... maybe it specifically covers it there.

Yobgod Ababua

First Post
That makes perfect sense with the way they're defining how difficult terrain works (movement cost x2).

The "Five Foot Step" only gives you 5' of movement. In difficult terrain you need at least 10' of movement to move one square, therefore, no Five Foot Step.

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
Aaron2 said:

aaron
I thought that page was written quite clearly.

Jens

First Post
Without checking, I think I have seen a rule or designer comment saying that you can always take a 5' step regardless of terrain.
It would seem reasonable to me to always allow *some* movement?

Darklone

Yobgod Ababua said:
That makes perfect sense with the way they're defining how difficult terrain works (movement cost x2).

The "Five Foot Step" only gives you 5' of movement. In difficult terrain you need at least 10' of movement to move one square, therefore, no Five Foot Step.

Uhm... is this really a change? Then I had another houserule that I never recognized as one.

Tharizdun

First Post
I just looked it up, and if the terrain hampers movement, you cannot take a five foot step.

"In some situations, your movement may be so hampered that you don't have sufficient speed even to move 5 feet (1square). In such a case, you may use a full round action to move 5 feet ...." and it goes on t say that this provokes an attack of oppertunity

"You can't charge or run through any square that would hamper your movement"

Remove ads