• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 character progression/optimization help

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I listed them in the other post, but the relevant ones are probably rogue, sorcerer, and ranger. I might be able to take these later in my character's career, but probably not for the first 10 levels or so.

I also have a soft goal of maintaining the swashbuckling flavor too, so I'm not sure the guisarme spinning build would fit (although it sounds pretty f'ing awesome).
--

If the DM allows Martial Rogue (it's actually from UA, so he might not), you can start as one and make your character clearly different than the party rogue, just by not taking stereotypically rogue skills (open locks, disable device, search, sleight of hand, etc...) and never using trapfinding. And use alternate class features to change other stuff as needed. Unfortunately, there aren't any good trade ins for trapfinding (except for a specific race's option that isn't in an allowed book), and frankly, the other rogue mght appreciate having you there to back him up on trap duty. Just take 10 on search and aid another to give him a +2. Also, while you'll eventually go Rogue 2, you should put off the 2nd level for a while (so when you go back in you can dump a bunch of points into exclusive skills like Use Magic Device while it only costs 1 skill point per rank).

Beyond that, you're already not getting sneak attack. At level 2 if you're willing to part with Evasion, C.Mage has the Spell Reflection alternate, to deflect weaponlike spells (rays, melee touch, etc...) back upon the caster if it misses you. You could easily flavor it to your sword-fighting style, I like to think of it like Link from the Zelda games parrying magic. Evasion is generally more useful, though.

Have you considered Scout (C.Adventurer)? Dervish Dance combines well with Skirmish, though you'll be awfully feat starved. Might be a decent fall-back if martial rogue is out. Try this progession:

1 Scout 1 [Skirmish +1d6, Trapfinding (eratta'd in)]
2 Swashbuckler 1 [Weapon Finesse]
3 Swashbuckler 2 [Arcane Stunt - Expeditious Retreat or Blur]
4 Swashbuckler 3 [Insightful Strike]
5 Scout 2 [Battle Fortitude +1, Uncanny Dodge]
6 Scout 3 [Skirmish +1 AC, +10 ft speed, Trackless Step]
7-16 Dervish 1-10 [Good Stuff]
17+ Scout 4+

Feats:
1 Dodge
1 Mobility [Human bonus feat]
3 Weapon Focus (Scimitar)
6 Combat Expertise
9 TWF
12 Deadly Defense (you can Expertise for -2 and it applies, I checked)
15 ITWF
18 GTWF
Other good feats: Elusive Target, Improved Trip (only if you have Elusive Target), Improved Skirmish (required Scout level 5+, but very late game it's a nice extra 2d6 damage)

Like I said...horribly feat starved. Flaws would help, as would a Fighter dip, though it'd suck to put off entry into Dervish.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
As a variant on the above scout/swash/dervish build, you could go to scout 4 and enter dervish one level later. Use the Scout bonus feat at 4 on Combat Expertise, and bump the feat list up (TWF at 6, DD at 9, ITWF at 12, GTWF still has to be level 18). At level 15, jump back into Scout for Scout 5, get an extra +1d6 skirmish damage, and take Improved Skirmish feat from C.Scoundrel for another 2d6 on top of that.

Remove ads