• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E 2E Combat Feats

Has anyone made 3E versions of the 2E Single Weapon or Two-Handed Weapon fighting styles?

I was thinking of both feats giving a +1 bonus to AC when fighting in their respective manner and allowing the feat to be taken multiple times.

Thoughts?

Galethorn

First Post
With power attack the way it is in 3.5e, you don't really need the Two-Handed-Weapon fighting feat...however, the Single-Weapon fighting might be a good idea. I'd say the AC bonus ought to be a Dodge bonus, since that would work pretty well logically as well as mechanically.

rkanodia

First Post
I think Galethorn's point is that fighting with a two-handed weapon already confers significant mechanical advantages over a one-handed weapon or two-weapon fighting, and thus (from a game balance standpoint, not necessarily a realism standpoint) doesn't need extra feats to improve it.

I disagree. One of the problems with fighting two-handed is the lower AC. It's a natural fit for a feat to address this deficiency. Besides, sinking feats into improving your AC by a couple points isn't exactly game-breaking (especially considering the feats you could take to enhance your attacking power).

rkanodia

First Post
Two handed weapon users have lower AC as compared to sword-and-board characters. They have the same AC as a one-handed weapon (no shield, no second weapon) character, and do more damage, especially with high Strength and/or Power Attack. If you really want the two-handed weapon feat, I'd find a way to make the one-handed weapon feat stronger.

rkanodia

First Post
Personally, I don't see +2 dodge bonus to AC as being too much for the one-handed weapon user, as long as the feat precludes the usage of a shield. Consider that the character could go to a store and buy a large shield for 7 gp, and be in a very similar position (not helpful against touch attacks, but helpful when flat-footed). I wouldn't complain about it either way, tho.

here's what we tried in our group. It does add a littlle bookkeeping but, I feel it adds a special mechanical benefit to fighting one handed.

ONE HANDED FIGHTING:
when usinga weapon one handed with the other hand free you are better able to position and manouvere yourself in combat.

PREREQUISITES: DEX 13
BENEFITS: Whenever you are fighting with a single one handed or lighter weapon in one hand and the other hand free you can activate each of the following benefits once per encounter.
1) +1 to AC for a single round
2) +1 to a single attack of opportunity
3) +2 to an initiative check (we reroll initiative each round)

IMPOROVED ONE HANDED FIGHTING:
when usinga weapon one handed with the other hand free you are a master at being able to position and manouvere yourself in combat
PREREQUISITES: DEX 15, BAB 5+, ONE W

BENEFITS: Whenever you are fighting with a single one handed or lighter weapon in one hand and the other hand free you can activate each of the following benefits twice per encounter.
1) +2 dodge bonus AC for a single round
2) +2 to a single attack of opportunity
3) +4 to an initiative check

here's what we tried in our group. It does add a littlle bookkeeping but, I feel it adds a special mechanical benefit to fighting one handed.

ONE HANDED FIGHTING:
when usinga weapon one handed with the other hand free you are better able to position and manouvere yourself in combat.

PREREQUISITES: DEX 13
BENEFITS: Whenever you are fighting with a single one handed or lighter weapon in one hand and the other hand free you can activate each of the following benefits once per encounter.
1) +1 to AC for a single round
2) +1 to a single attack of opportunity
3) +2 to an initiative check (we reroll initiative each round)

IMPOROVED ONE HANDED FIGHTING:
when usinga weapon one handed with the other hand free you are a master at being able to position and manouvere yourself in combat
PREREQUISITES: DEX 15, BAB 5+, ONE Weapon fighting

BENEFITS: Whenever you are fighting with a single one handed or lighter weapon in one hand and the other hand free you can activate each of the following benefits twice per encounter.
1) +2 dodge bonus AC for a single round
2) +2 to a single attack of opportunity
3) +4 to an initiative check

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads