• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC 2020 Was The Best Year Ever For Dungeons & Dragons

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, "ideally" is kind of a bold statement. Your ideal isn't necessarily my ideal, after all.
The things you list are good things to want, depending on what your table prefers. It shouldn't be a mandate.

The folks at my table wouldn't mind having a table of 30 different polearms, different only by their descriptions and artwork to spark the imagination. (We tend to be inspired more by fluff than crunch. We switched to Foundry from Roll20 largely because of the flashy animated map backgrounds and spell effects.)
That's how we got the 5E weapons table: they cut the difference.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No, we don't need it, but it is the signature weapon of the druid class, so I guess that is why it was included.

A blade on a stick is a blade on a stick.
Or, you could not crap on things other people like that wouldn’t negatively impact you in any way.

Also, Lucerne Hammer. Reach Bludgeoning.

Oofta

Legend
Or, you could not crap on things other people like that wouldn’t negatively impact you in any way.

Also, Lucerne Hammer. Reach Bludgeoning.
Ask the DM if you can have a halberd that does bludgeoning damage. Done.

It's not "crapping on things" to acknowledge that D&D 5E is not granular enough to include a dozen polearms and it's not trying to be something it's not.

doctorbadwolf

I've already indicated the negative impact. Not so much on me personally, but on accessibility and product image.
Not really. You’ve just stated that it’s “not needed” and that you think it’s bad game design. You’ve shown no compelling arguments that there is any negative impact.
Try swinging it in a 5 foot passage.
Okay? Try swinging a greataxe in a 5 foot passage.

Not remotely a valid reason to exclude bludgeoning polearms from the game.
And Rise of Taimat/Hoard of the Dragon Queen is already a re-imagining of the DL series.
The problem with this is, there is very little resemblance between the two. Nothing remotely like the lances, or having dragon allies, or dealing with the consequences of long-absent gods returning, etc. it’s just an adventure where you fight dragons and cultists.

doctorbadwolf

Ask the DM if you can have a halberd that does bludgeoning damage. Done.
The ability of the DM (which is usually me) to homebrew does not have any relevance to a discussion about whether it would be good to add something to the game officially.
It's not "crapping on things" to acknowledge that D&D 5E is not granular enough to include a dozen polearms and it's not trying to be something it's not.
Telling people they’re wrong to want something that would not effect your table in any way is, in fact, crapping on things other people like and want.

Oofta

Legend
The ability of the DM (which is usually me) to homebrew does not have any relevance to a discussion about whether it would be good to add something to the game officially.

Telling people they’re wrong to want something that would not effect your table in any way is, in fact, crapping on things other people like and want.
Then accept that your opinion is just one opinion in an ocean of opinions. Having the opinion that multiple polearms is not necessary, potentially confusing and not worth it is just as valid as yours.

You stated your opinion, other people stated there's. They decided to do just base weapons and if you want a variation (a katana instead of a longsword) it's simply a description from a game perspective. It's part of the KISS methodology of 5E which, in general, works really well.

Remove ads