• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E 1E Rangers

EP

First Post
Was invited to play 1st Edition in a couple of weeks, but I don't have any of those books (and probably wouldn't want to open them if I did). They said they needed a ranger. Rough list of the ranger abilities if anyone has them?

Thurbane

First Post
Tracking, low level Magic User and Druid spells, and +1 damage/level against "giant class" enemies...just off the top of my head...

d8 HD
Druidic (starting at 8th) & Magic User (starting at 9th) spells
+1 damage per HD vs. "giant class" monsters
Surprise opponents 50% of time
Surprised only 1 in 6 themselves
Tracking (% based)

You might to see if you can play an Archer-Ranger (an old Dargon Mag class, if I remember correctly). Archer rangers were exceptionally tough, if I recall. Depending on whether or not the group uses the old Unearthed Arcana rules, rangers were also allowed to specialize and double specialize in weapons.

EvilPheemy

First Post
Remember Con bonus counts per Hit Die, not level in 1st ed. Also, as a fighter subclass Rangers get % strength if the base score is 18, and the higher hit point bonus for constitution of 17 or 18.

But your XP progression is slow (you'll be advancing with the Magic User and the Paladin, while the Thief and the Cleric happily bound ahead.)

Tetsubo

First Post
Related to 1E Rangers... has anyone converted a 1E Ranger to 3.5? I have an OLD character kicking around that I would love to see in a 3.5 version...

Rhun

First Post
Also, I believe ranger had additional abilities if you are using the Unearthed Arcana as well. I can check my books when I get home from work tonight.

EvilPheemy said:
Remember Con bonus counts per Hit Die, not level in 1st ed.

Man, I never knew that. I had a 1e ranger years ago with 17 hp at first level; rolled 8+6 and +3 for Con. Are you telling me he should have had 20 hp? I feel cheated. Not that he ever came close to dying at low levels...

werk

First Post
SadisticFishing said:
... my brain hurts.

<3 3.5

LOL, fact! "they needed a ranger." is honestly a phrase I've never heard before.

I started in 1e days, and loved it, but it was all reference work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads