• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E 1E & Basic: Balance repercussions of changing infravision to low light vision

frankthedm

First Post
I've been considering changing the infravision on monsters and races to something closer to 3E Low Light vision* for Basic and 1E and wanted to see if anyone could think of game balance pitfalls of doing so. Infravision is difficult for players to make use of unless the whole party has it, and seeing heat is something that IMHO ought to be reserved for more oddball critters.

* Or possibly WFRP 2E's Darkvision: See 30? yards out in any light brighter than total darkness.

PeelSeel2

Explorer
In my experience it will not hurt. I change most monsters to low-light vision too.

I also have a lot of dungeons where the moss glows with the passing of the sun. I call it glow moss. It creates a very low light condition.

Niccodaemus

First Post
I prefer low light vision, and don't like infra-vision at all.

If "natural monsters" (orcs, goblins, etc...) have low light vision, it gives players a much better chance to be stealthy and strategic, as they will be able to see light sources well in advance of encountering the monsters. Otherwise, adventurers are pretty much sitting ducks, in my view (traipsing around underground will light sources and clanking metal).

"Natural monsters" who can perceive in the dark should do so by echo location. Makes them much creepier, IMO.

Only "unnatural monsters" (vampires, etc..., perhaps mind flayers) should be able to "perceive" with extra sensory perception.

Greenfield

Adventurer
It will help PC races and hurt monster races. Sort of.

Old joke: Why do Orcs have flat noses?

Answer: Because Infravision only shows heat sources, and walls are cold.

If the goal is to help PCs by requiring underground dwellers to use some sort of visible light, you're doing fine.

If you're looking for something else, well, I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
To me infravision always made more sense, because some animals can actually see infrared. Snakes, at least some of them.

Of course, it's not with their eyes, but these little bump things on their face. But maybe that's what the pointy ears on demi-humans are for?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads