• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

13 True Ways Preview

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have just uploaded 13 True Ways Preview to the downloads area.

Pelgrane Press has kindly provided this 15-page preview of 13 True Ways, the expansion book for 13th Age! It contains the table of contents, plus a look at the druid, monk, occultist, and more.

You can find the file here in the downloads section. Please use this thread for comments.

Shadeydm

First Post
I preordered on Monday to get access to the PDF download which from my perspective was a blessing. My only real gripe with 13 Age was that it needed more class options and bingo here they are! I don't want to give away too much stuff so I will stick with general impressions.
I love the necromancer probably the best attempt at the class I've seen from any edition of DnD the abilities and spells seem ripe with flavor and role playing opportunity baked right in. I can't wait for the next campaign so that I can play one!
I'm totally fascinated by the occultist being the one and only. It's unique skills and powers tickle the imagination. His shadow stalker immediately evoked memories of Ged's shadow chase in Wizard of Earthsea, great stuff.
Once again 13th Age does a great job of having clear and distinct powers and abilities creating a unique play experience for each class.
I found the write up on Drakkenhall to be very captivating, I was really looking forward to it and for me it didn't disappoint at all) it strikes me as a great launching point for intrigue and adventure.
I found the approach to multiclassing a bit cumbersome at first glance but I'm glad the designers have made the distinction that multiclassing in 13th Age means sacrificing power for diversity. My first impression is that this approach will prevent abuse.

Overall I am very pleased with the product and my guess is this will cement our group staying with 13th Age for the foreseeable future.

Balesir

Adventurer
I found the approach to multiclassing a bit cumbersome at first glance but I'm glad the designers have made the distinction that multiclassing in 13th Age means sacrificing power for diversity. My first impression is that this approach will prevent abuse.
I supported the Kickstarter and so also have the full PDF already. I haven't had time to read the whole thing, yet, but I can say that I really like the multiclassing rules (as well as the Commander and the Necromancer - with you on that one!)

There seems to me to be two quite distinct tastes/desires in D&D-type games; those who want to minimise/marginalise class and level as much as possible and emulate a classless/levelless game with D&D (why not just play such a game? I have no idea) and those who embrace class and level (and hit points) as part of the D&D "thing". I'm really glad that 13th Age is following the latter course; the multiclassing seems to me to be basically a greatly simplified and sensibly modified version of AD&D multiclassing. You pick your two classes to be (more than two are not covered) and get to be both, but one level lower, pretty much. There are slight tweaks around the edges, but this is more or less the result. It looks balanced but I'm impatient to see it in play for a final judgement. It certainly makes it dead easy to either start out MCed or to switch to an MC as part of a character life-event, which is nice.

Jhaelen

First Post
I've been an instant fan of the Commander, Monk, and Necromancer classes.

I also instantly disliked the Chaos mage. I really wouldn't want to have one at my table (which I guess, makes sense, since I also dislike players with a 'jester' archetype). I'd definitely discourage my players from playing one, and if a player insists, I'd at least grant every other pc a free 'Enough, already!' feat.
It's a pity, though, since the icon-related spells and powers are actually really cool. I've been pondering if I should make them available to other classes as a feat or talent.

I understand what they've been trying with the Druid, and while I applaud the flexibility, it feels a bit low-powered to me. Perhaps they should get four talents?

The Occultist is a bit of an odd duck (as intended, I guess). It also didn't look all that interesting to me in the Adventurer tier; it's in Champion and Epic tier where things get interesting.

Remove ads