• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Zeitgeist - Any advice on converting monsters from 4E to 5E?

ernyperez

First Post
I bought Zeitgeist a short while ago and even though I really enjoy playing it in 4E, I would much rather play 5E. I looked for a good translation of 4E to 5E monsters but haven't been convinced of what I've seen. Have you guys found anything that works relatively well?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Simplest is to use MM equivelents, and adjust number so that the encounter difficulty is right.

If you are dealing with custom monsters, then use the defualt stats in the back of the DMG, though note that the dmg and hp tend to be a little high (or the other way to look at it is that you can have fewer of them).

Aribar

First Post
If you want something that works well, then your best bet for a good quality conversion is to take the time to do it yourself and tailor it to your group. I've never played Zeitgeist, but 4E and 5E are such vastly different games that I can't see any generalized conversion document working well, and there's next to no mention of 4E in WotC's official document.

I would recommend looking at the different encounters and understanding their mechanical purpose. Why were these creatures selected? How do they work together? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Take that and put it through some decent monster creation rules like the ones found in this blog. Additionally, his post on how to make good bosses could also help make engaging encounters.

Remove ads