• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the GM's Most Important Job?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
30 posts in and I'm rather surprised nobody's hit the real #1 GM's job yet:

Commitment to doing that job.

If you're not committed, week in and week out for however long the campaign runs, to doing whatever a GM has to do in whatever system or style you're running in order to keep the game going, you might as well not bother.
I feel like I understand where you are coming from, but I worry that attitude would put off a lot of potential new GMs. It is a game, not a job. I think it is okay to jump in and give it a try and if it isn't working for you, its okay to walk away.

Also, not all GMs run campaigns. I would actually encourage more DMs to run one shots. I think that there would be more GMs, and more opportunities for me to not be a forever GM, if more people would run the occasional one shot rather than feeling like that have to run a long adventure or campaign.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
When you say "pacing", I was reading that in the context of story telling.
I almost never mean that, simply because I don't generally do "story telling" in that way when I run games (except when I do, usually at cons).
But this style generally only works if all players have bought into a player-driven, sandbox-style campaign.
No argument there. And even if you happen to have a group mostly good for player driven sandboxing, there is always that player or two that doesn't gel with the style.

Remove ads